Season 485 - 7 D in a W

I did not get even close to enough practice for this one. I apologize to the Scorpions and to everyone who loves the Scorpions' music for this not-at-all-as-good-as-this-song-deserves version.

And I doubt having Sunday to work on this one would've improved it much, either. Heh.

Hi Del! It’s Saturday evening at 11pm EDT and I’m finally submitting something to your week. I would have done something sooner, but there are 4 Bs in my H that we’re in dire need of attention. I’ve chosen Pleasant Valley Sunday, by Carole King and Gerry Goffin from 1967, which was a huge hit for The Monkees in my childhood. Micky Dolenz was my favorite. The song I had planned to do, Three Weeks, by Carl Finch, of Brave Combo, just never happened. I hope you enjoy this one! Have a pleasant Sunday! xo, Liz

I started writing this song 25 years ago. I finished it today. But that’s not the true mark of what a dumbass I am. This is: All those years ago, I was thinking about how there’s lots of famous songs about Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Even Tuesday has a few classics. But Wednesday and Thursday got left out. So I felt compelled to write this song, because as God is my witness, I felt SORRY for Thursday!

Anyway, here’s some downsides you might not have considered for taking 25 years to write a song. Technology changes. I had to take out a reference to pay phones, because they’re pretty much extinct. I had to add a line explaining why the narrator doesn’t just call her cell phone. And during that time, Gotye had a big hit, so I had to change the line that had read “From my one true love to someone that I used to know”.

Lyrics:

I come home from a day of stringing cable
The letter's lying on the kitchen table
Her closet’s empty, bags are gone
She didn’t give a reason why
Just a roundabout goodbye
And “I think it’s time to move along”
I’m getting frantic, feel I’ve lost my mind
I call her phone and find she’d left it behind
And there I am, and suddenly I know
That she was Thursday’s child, and she had far to go

Jump in the Chevy and I take that ride
Around to all her friends in Harborside
Julie tells me “She just flew”
Brenda says she had the call to wander
Always had a need to see what’s yonder
Always wanted to meet somebody new
She didn’t leave a forwarding address
“There’s an ocean to the east, so I’m heading west”
She told them all goodbye and I’m the last to know
That she was Thursday’s child, and she had far to go

Every road that leads to someplace also leads away
She said "I’ll travel every one of them some day"
I should’ve heard the countdown ticking
The motion, it can be addicting

The postcards come from Indiana
Provo, Utah and Butte, Montana
Poughkeepsie, Little Rock and San Antone
But they don’t tell me what I want to hear
They never ever say “Wish you were here”
They never say she's coming home
The open highway made her a stranger
It only took the wanderlust to change her
From my one true love to my “once long ago”
'Cause she was Thursday's child, and she had far to go

Season 485 is now officially ended!

Thank you all for your contributions - it has been a fabulous week! I’ll listen to the last few entries later and have the wrap ready by Monday evening (UK time) at the latest. You’re all amazing - thank you again! :)

Here’s the wrap!

Evening all! As promised here’s the wrap video! It’s only just over a minute long (promise!) so no reason not to have look! Thanks all for your wonderful work this week - I had a blast!
Will the 2 winners please let me know (by PM or email) the address to which I can send their prize.
Thank you all again! :)

Thanks Lynda and Val for your kind words! :)

Edwin and Jim Yates - I posted your prizes this morning - please let me know when they arrive? Thank you! :)

My capodile has arrived. Thanks Del! Actually it arrived a couple of days ago... it looks great, and hopefully I'll get a chance to try it properly soon and post a video with it :).

(You are way more efficient at posting things than me - sorry Lynda and Ralf, they are on their way soon I promise!)

You are most welcome, Jim and Edwin - very worthy winners! Thank you! :)

Top Bottom