Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 string: baritone uke, guitelele, 1/4 sized guitar, mini guitar????

Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    If you want a small bodied classical guitar with a full scale for e tuning checkout the Godin Motif. I just got one myself and it is lovely. It’s essentially a parlor guitar braced for nylon strings with a classical guitar neck.

If you want something somewhat smaller with a shorter scale but that still is long enough to tune to e checkout the Cordoba Mini II models.
    I think the two options recommended here (Godin Motif and Cordoba) are some of the best given what you are looking for.
    Though for the Godin Motif, you would be lucky to find one. They've been out of stock (and highly sought after) for a while!

I recently tried a 'travel size' classical guitar called the Valencia VC 350 at a music store the other day. Very affordable and decent quality.

I appreciate the experience and advice coming through this forum and have decided to go for the Mini on this forum's marketplace.

The information on this forum and on-line has also led to some confusion. As the title to this thread indicates, I thought the instruments mentioned were all the same approximate size. However, I've run across references to the mini as being a 1/4 and a 1/2 sized guitar and I don't see how it can be both. I was thinking that if the mini turns out to be smaller than I'd like then maybe I'd move up a size. What would that size be called if not 1/2 sized?

Just to test the waters I purchased a Caramel 6 string baritone and was quite surprised at its quality and play. I sold the ebony model and purchased the zebrawood model and it is just as good. I think the Caramel 6 string acoustic/electric baritone is a good buy. I'm thinking that the Cordoba Mini will be a step up.

Note that there is a Mini (what you're buying) and a Mini II. The Mini II is a very different beast at almost 23" scale so that probably qualifies it as 1/2 size.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, LW dGBEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, E cuatro TI/Oasis

!Flukutronic!

Jim;

The Mini II EB-CE has been on my radar. If the Mini on this site sold the Mini II would have been my next option. The only problem I had in deciding for the Mini II was it's size. One Amazon reviewer notes that the bag for the Mini is a perfect fit for the Mini II--in which case I decided I might as get the Mini. Also, I had a hard finding the exact specs for the II (One of the things I've really liked about Kremona guitars is that when you go to their site every offering comes with complete visual specifications).

I see that the Mini II EB-CE is a common listing on Reverb and can be had for about the same price I'm willing to pay for the Mini on this site.
    Last edited by EvanB; 05-31-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    I think the two options recommended here (Godin Motif and Cordoba) are some of the best given what you are looking for.
    Though for the Godin Motif, you would be lucky to find one. They've been out of stock (and highly sought after) for a while!

I recently tried a 'travel size' classical guitar called the Valencia VC 350 at a music store the other day. Very affordable and decent quality.
    Guitar center has the Motif. It says call for condition and availability but you can add it to your cart. I just got mine from there like three weeks ago.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Godin/M...ring-Guitar.gc

Though I wish I had called first because mine had a couple (tiny) blems in the top so I think it might of been a floor model or return but I paid full price for it. The blems were tiny tiny little things that most folks wouldn’t notice and it is perfect otherwise, but I bet if I had ordered by phone I could have saved a little money. My hunch is that all they have left are returns and floor models.

They also make a nylon string “Roadhouse” guitar under their Art and Lutherie brand but I couldn’t find one in stock anywhere. As far as can tell it’s the same guitar as the Motif but with a maple neck instead of mahogany and with a cool brown burst finish...and it costs $100 less.

I love the Motif though. I know it’s not what is being looked for in this thread but it’s pretty awesome.
    Last edited by CPG; 05-31-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

The Motif is, indeed, a beautiful, and by all reports, a great instrument. I've had acoustic and electric Godins and they've all been great instruments.

I've been thinking about dipping my toe into both guitar-leles, and classical guitars. Is the mini II more useful for the latter, and mini I the former? I've read this thread but still not sure. I do prefer a smaller instrument, but not sure where to try either of these in person.

A green; I wasn't sure either, so I ordered both the Mini and the Mini IIEB-CE. I first spotted the mini and thought it would provide what I wanted but then I worried that it might be a bit small, hence the Mini II order. Good luck with your decision making.

Jim; I finally found the dimensions of the Mini II and it is clearly bigger than the Mini (and I still don't understand how the II could fit in the smaller instrument's bag???)

Quote Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
    A green; I wasn't sure either, so I ordered both the Mini and the Mini IIEB-CE. I first spotted the mini and thought it would provide what I wanted but then I worried that it might be a bit small, hence the Mini II order. Good luck with your decision making.

Jim; I finally found the dimensions of the Mini II and it is clearly bigger than the Mini (and I still don't understand how the II could fit in the smaller instrument's bag???)
    I saw this quote on a review page:
    The Mini II is the successor to Cordoba’s popular Mini. More ukulele-like in character, the Mini has a short-scale fretboard of 20 inches and is tuned a perfect fourth higher than a standard guitar, from A to A. The standard-tuned Mini II has a slightly bigger and deeper body than the Mini, along with a longer, 22-7/8“-scale neck. It’s obviously closer to the guitar end of the spectrum than its predecessor.

I think Jim basically made this point earlier too

A Green; Have you made any decisions?

Thread Information