What Size Uke Do You Most Commonly Play?

What Size Uke Do You Play Most Of The Time?

• Soprano

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Concert

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Tenor

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Baritone

Votes: 10 8.9%

• Total voters
Soo-praa-noo, I love you
You're the one, the one for me

Concert. That's the only size I play these days. I liked tenor a lot, but my fingers can't handle it. (I had an injury that brings some limitations.) I had one soprano, but sold that, too, because my fingers weren't happy. But, concert works out for me, though I do have to be picky about the neck.

ditto. I have a curved index finger tip that makes fretting some chords cleanly really difficult. I wish I could play tenor because there are so many more options in uke styles. I'd love to have kept the Duke10 I bought. Loved the sound and especially the weight, but just couldn't play the tenor size. I haven't found one comparable in concert size.

I'm actually a little surprised that the distribution amongst soprano, concert, and tenor sizes is more even than not; my conversations with uke vendors have me thinking that way more tenors and concerts are bought and sold than sopranos (which of course, is not to say one size is better or more desirable than the other two!).

Tenor exclusively.

As a beginner, I am still experimenting to find size preferences. I thought it was the tenor for me when I first tried after soprano and concert, but when I bought a decent soprano, I found it really comfortable, and I have been focusing a lot on that for the last month or so.

To be honest, I doubt I will ever settle down completely. That’s okay isn’t it? One odd thought is that I have different preferences for some chord inversions for different sizes (eg: I tend to play D 2225 on the soprano but the typical 2220 on a tenor).

I'm actually a little surprised that the distribution amongst soprano, concert, and tenor sizes is more even than not; my conversations with uke vendors have me thinking that way more tenors and concerts are bought and sold than sopranos (which of course, is not to say one size is better or more desirable than the other two!).

I'm not sure UU forums are representative of the general ukulele buying population... in fact, I would guess not

I've owned all three but I've ended up with two concerts. Actually I've only owned four ukuleles all together. Both the soprano and the tenor went to people who wanted them more than I did. The two concerts have stood the test of time. I can't say that I particularly and consciously prefer it but that is what I've fell into.

You're assuming that there is a "general ukulele buying population." :D

From the net:

Published by Statista Research Department, May 12, 2021 The number of ukuleles sold in the United States declined by seven percent in 2020 over the previous year. Overall, nearly 1.5 million ukuleles were sold in the U.S in 2020, whereas the unit sales of this instrument reached 1.6 million in 2019.

Who would have guessed?...

Either year - that's a lot of ukuleles!

From the net:

Published by Statista Research Department, May 12, 2021 The number of ukuleles sold in the United States declined by seven percent in 2020 over the previous year. Overall, nearly 1.5 million ukuleles were sold in the U.S in 2020, whereas the unit sales of this instrument reached 1.6 million in 2019.

All my ukes are concert scale. Sopranos, tenors, and baritones haven't worked out for me.

I play tenor when I'm playing but I do have a soprano and I sometimes lament the fact that I'm not as skilled on the soprano as I am the tenor. Like I'm going to be given the opportunity to perform at some point and the only available instrument will be a soprano, and I'll feel like I'm incapable of my A game. Anyhow, that's an insane movie fantasy.

I play tenor when I'm playing but I do have a soprano and I sometimes lament the fact that I'm not as skilled on the soprano as I am the tenor. Like I'm going to be given the opportunity to perform at some point and the only available instrument will be a soprano, and I'll feel like I'm incapable of my A game. Anyhow, that's an insane movie fantasy.

I'm just the opposite, I play the soprano all the time and can't play tenor even remotely well at all. Concerts are fine, but tenors are just a bit too hard for me to balance it while playing (it's a bit too small to rest it on my leg while sitting; it's a bit too thick for my arm to comfortably press it against my chest when standing).

However, I'm not too worried about having to show off my uke skills on a tenor because, as you already know, everybody owns a soprano :)

Started with a concert, have several tenors, a cutaway tenor which is my favorite - but I find the concert easier to play.
Gonna have to take them to a luthier and lower the action to see if that helps my tenor playability.
I think I would like to find a Long Neck Cutaway Concert for my next Uke.
Get the scale length and ease of playing.

I mostly play Tenor because I also play guitar, and settled on Tenor ukes and short-scale guitars as the easiest way for me to switch between the two different instruments.

I'm just the opposite, I play the soprano all the time and can't play tenor even remotely well at all. Concerts are fine, but tenors are just a bit too hard for me to balance it while playing (it's a bit too small to rest it on my leg while sitting; it's a bit too thick for my arm to comfortably press it against my chest when standing).

However, I'm not too worried about having to show off my uke skills on a tenor because, as you already know, everybody owns a soprano :)

There are thin body ukuleles, which might take care of the feeling of the body of the uke being a bit too thick for you when standing. I've seen LoPrinzi and Kinnard list thin body ukuleles, and would assume that others have them as well.

This is from a listing of a Kinnard thin body tenor up for sale right now:
The Kinnard "Thin Line" models feature a body depth of 2" vs our normal body depth of 2-7/8"

I've seen thin body concerts as well.

From the net:

And most of them we're bought by a few people on this forum :D

It's always seemed to me that there are more tenor players on this forum than anything else. I did notice that the concert bar graph came out of the gate first, and was slowly overtaken by the tenor. I would guess that means the tenor players don't sign in as much as the concert players, or perhaps they're just more cautious about joining polls.

From the net:

I bought 25 in 2020 and 37 in 2019, so I guess I'm right on track. I've done all my uke buying, though.

Top Bottom