View Poll Results: What Size Uke Do You Play Most Of The Time?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soprano

24 23.08%
  • Concert

35 33.65%
  • Tenor

37 35.58%
  • Baritone

8 7.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Size Uke Do You Most Commonly Play?

Either year - that's a lot of ukuleles!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    From the net:

Published by Statista Research Department, May 12, 2021 The number of ukuleles sold in the United States declined by seven percent in 2020 over the previous year. Overall, nearly 1.5 million ukuleles were sold in the U.S in 2020, whereas the unit sales of this instrument reached 1.6 million in 2019.

Who would have guessed?...

All my ukes are concert scale. Sopranos, tenors, and baritones haven't worked out for me.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I play tenor when I'm playing but I do have a soprano and I sometimes lament the fact that I'm not as skilled on the soprano as I am the tenor. Like I'm going to be given the opportunity to perform at some point and the only available instrument will be a soprano, and I'll feel like I'm incapable of my A game. Anyhow, that's an insane movie fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by donboody View Post
    I play tenor when I'm playing but I do have a soprano and I sometimes lament the fact that I'm not as skilled on the soprano as I am the tenor. Like I'm going to be given the opportunity to perform at some point and the only available instrument will be a soprano, and I'll feel like I'm incapable of my A game. Anyhow, that's an insane movie fantasy.
    I'm just the opposite, I play the soprano all the time and can't play tenor even remotely well at all. Concerts are fine, but tenors are just a bit too hard for me to balance it while playing (it's a bit too small to rest it on my leg while sitting; it's a bit too thick for my arm to comfortably press it against my chest when standing).

However, I'm not too worried about having to show off my uke skills on a tenor because, as you already know, everybody owns a soprano

Started with a concert, have several tenors, a cutaway tenor which is my favorite - but I find the concert easier to play.
    Gonna have to take them to a luthier and lower the action to see if that helps my tenor playability.
    I think I would like to find a Long Neck Cutaway Concert for my next Uke.
    Get the scale length and ease of playing.

I mostly play Tenor because I also play guitar, and settled on Tenor ukes and short-scale guitars as the easiest way for me to switch between the two different instruments.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    I'm just the opposite, I play the soprano all the time and can't play tenor even remotely well at all. Concerts are fine, but tenors are just a bit too hard for me to balance it while playing (it's a bit too small to rest it on my leg while sitting; it's a bit too thick for my arm to comfortably press it against my chest when standing).

However, I'm not too worried about having to show off my uke skills on a tenor because, as you already know, everybody owns a soprano
    There are thin body ukuleles, which might take care of the feeling of the body of the uke being a bit too thick for you when standing. I've seen LoPrinzi and Kinnard list thin body ukuleles, and would assume that others have them as well.

This is from a listing of a Kinnard thin body tenor up for sale right now:
    The Kinnard "Thin Line" models feature a body depth of 2" vs our normal body depth of 2-7/8"

I've seen thin body concerts as well.

From the net:

Published by Statista Research Department, May 12, 2021 The number of ukuleles sold in the United States declined by seven percent in 2020 over the previous year. Overall, nearly 1.5 million ukuleles were sold in the U.S in 2020, whereas the unit sales of this instrument reached 1.6 million in 2019.
    And most of them we're bought by a few people on this forum

It's always seemed to me that there are more tenor players on this forum than anything else. I did notice that the concert bar graph came out of the gate first, and was slowly overtaken by the tenor. I would guess that means the tenor players don't sign in as much as the concert players, or perhaps they're just more cautious about joining polls.

From the net:

Who would have guessed?...
    I bought 25 in 2020 and 37 in 2019, so I guess I'm right on track. I've done all my uke buying, though.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Tenor players are famously cautious of polls lol

Thread Information