External microphone for Android

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi forum,
Mostly courious here, since I dont plan to record too much on my phone. But does anyone have good experience recording with external mics on Android, and what options work for which purpose. I am interested in recording video with good sound quality AND good sound levels.
There are more options for Apple products, I am aware.

There are mics that connect directly to a usc connection, like the one Zoom produces. Looks similar in function to the shure mv88, which only works for Apple. There are microphones than connect to USB C or micro usb through "on the go" cables.
How good an option is this?
Back when most Android phones used micro usb I read than, unlike apples iPhones, Android phones needed software with a specific driver to get sound input from a usb device. So you could not plug a microphone in and get better audio on video recordings with the phones native video app. Is that still the case with usb c? And does that depend if the phone has a 3.5 mm jack at all?
I actually recorded a few things on Android device using on the go cables and an app with the right drivers. The results had very low gain. I needed to anplify it as much as possible, export to pc, and then anplify it more before the level was decent. Despite using a usb mic, shure mv5, that came with a lightning cable, suggesting that it could be used with some phones. Does anybody have better experience with sound levels?

There are mics that you plug into the 3.5 mm jack port. These come as lapel mics and shotgun mics.
I figure that shotgun mics would get sound from the front on a ukulele, while the lapel mic would get it from above it - which works best?
And how are the sound level on these? Shotgun mics intended for cameras come with or without a batteries to boost the sound level or create it to begin with. I only see mics with no batteries for phones. I wonder what will work the best for a phone.

I hope someone has some thoughts to share!

Shure MV88+ has a USB-C cable connector that works with modern Android phones.
https://www.shure.com/en-ASIA/products/microphones/mv88plus

I was not aware of the MV88+ model. It does sound like one of the more superior solutions if portability and phone use is important. Does it only work with the app, or also with native video recording apps?

Though the reviews are not as overwhelming, I am courious about anyones experiences with 3.5 mm jack mics that can double for camera and phone. And lapel vs. Shotgun for music recording.

I was not aware of the MV88+ model. It does sound like one of the more superior solutions if portability and phone use is important. Does it only work with the app, or also with native video recording apps?

Though the reviews are not as overwhelming, I am courious about anyones experiences with 3.5 mm jack mics that can double for camera and phone. And lapel vs. Shotgun for music recording.

I don't think the Shure microphone uses an app. You use whatever app you want (like your phone's camera app).

I don't think the Shure microphone uses an app. You use whatever app you want (like your phone's camera app).

Are you sure?
The thing is that Shure does have their own apps for recording video and audio with their microphones.
And I found an article only a year old suggesting that only select apps have drivers for microphones attached this way.
Again, there can be a difference between USB C devices and micro usb devices I realize. And perhaps between USB C devices with 3.5 mm jack and without.

Last edited:
I've got a USB condenser mic (can't currently recall the make). Plug it into my android phone via an OTG adaptor and it works perfectly. Don't overthink this one!

I've got a USB condenser mic (can't currently recall the make). Plug it into my android phone via an OTG adaptor and it works perfectly. Don't overthink this one!

Since I have several bad experiences connecting USB mics to phones, I would say that I am not overthinking this.
But out of couriosity: does your phone have USB C or micro usb? And does it have a 3.5 mm jack?
And are the sound levels good "out of the box"?

Perhaps if I get a newer phone it is as simple a plugging my Shure MV5 into it.

Top Bottom