Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: car/garage/outside Uke

Quote Originally Posted by diasuke View Post
    That’s just the feedback I needed. I think an outdoor soprano might be the ticket
    I got one of these for my wife. I really like that it is made in the USA and I think that the green color looks great. I also like that the neck profile is flat on the back rather than curved.

Having said all that, I got to see a Flight TUS soprano after buying the Outdoor and I thought the Flight sounded better at about half the cost. But I would still go with the OU, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
    I got one of these for my wife. I really like that it is made in the USA and I think that the green color looks great. I also like that the neck profile is flat on the back rather than curved.

Having said all that, I got to see a Flight TUS soprano after buying the Outdoor and I thought the Flight sounded better at about half the cost. But I would still go with the OU, personally.

I pretty much agree with all that, flight vs. outdoor my take, ymmv:
    -flight is heavy, my soprano weighed more that my solid and laminate concert ukuleles
    -much better tuners on the outdoor, rebuildable if grit gets in the gears
    -no strap buttons on the outdoor (I don't use a strap), flight had one (maybe two) and was installed very crooked
    -can't remember if flight had side markers, outdoor does not, but easily added
    -a fret marker on my flight had fallen out, frets felt small with inadvertent pulloffs possible (someone else mentioned this in forums)
    -nut widths are slightly different but minimally so, with wider spacing at the bridge on the flight
    -still might want to use a bag with the flight (bag that comes with is merely a dust cover), my outdoor goes case-free always, a true beater
    -flight wins on cost, but I got my outdoor used and not much more than the cost of the flight
    -sound probably favors the flight, but when/where used just having something to play is more important, I got rid of my first outdoor because it seemed kinda quiet
    -imo the outdoor has the better neck profile and texture and a more plain look that I prefer. if they only made a concert...

Those are very helpful reflections badhabits, thanks!

Ok. So which one will I play more an outdoor uke or a flea?

If you are talking about a uke in a car, bear in mind that while the instrument may resist the temperatures, the strings might not.

I think a plywood uke is best for a car. IMO the only ukes that really suffer in hot cars are old things made with hide glue. I had a Harmony which completely unglued itself in transit once. It literally fell to bits. The only time I have ever had uke strings snap was after retuning them when the uke had been really hot and gone out of tune.

A cheap uke that plays in tune and has OK action is fine, but if it dies you just get another. I bet you could get one for 1/10 of the price of either of these other ones you're looking at.

I know there is prestige, but really I don't believe the Flea or Outdoor uke are particularly nice sounding. I would much rather have a nice wooden uke in a hard case.

Well, I settled that. Today I bought a Flight travel uke AND a Aklot Bamboo Cutaway Tenor.

Good choice.

Thread Information