Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car/garage/outside Uke

Default car/garage/outside Uke

Hello all,

I'd like a Uke to keep in the car/garage/outdoors...

Obviously durability, ability to withstand Maryland temperatures, durability (I've got four little kids) are big issues.

However, as a musician I want two other things out of this uke...I want for it to stay in tune and be comfortable to play.

The waterman is a no go due to intonation/tuning issues
    The Outdoor Uke is a little more expensive (and I don't need it to withstand THOSE kind of temps)
    Is the Enya Carbon Fiber my choice?

I currently have a few cigar box ukes but I am afraid of the temperatures getting to those frets and perhaps warping the necks in the car....

So, in terms of playability, which is better Enya or Outdoor? I'm willing to pay more for good playability.

Am I on the right track or have I missed something else?

The Waterman style ukadelic soprano is in my car, the Enya Nova U concert is in my truck, and the Outdoor Tenor is in my little travel trailer. The Outdoor Tenor sounds the best to me, and the shape of the neck is wonderful compared to the Waterman and the Enya. I am normally a soprano person, btw.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Shima, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Drewek, Zither Heaven, First Act

Does size matter? If you must have a concert, the enya is your only choice. If soprano or tenor or you are flexible, I say the outdoor. I play concert...but my choice was an outdoor soprano (finding one used for $70 made the decision easy). I had a concert nova (and flight tus and m40 flea) and each had some limitation that left me wanting something else.
    Last edited by badhabits; 05-30-2021 at 10:46 AM.

I don't know if they're durable enough, and they're a bit more expensive, but Martin has HPL models in both soprano and concert size. I think they sound much better than most plastic or carbon fiber ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by badhabits View Post
    Does size matter? If you must have a concert, the enya is your only choice. If soprano or tenor or you are flexible, I say the outdoor. I play concert...but my choice was an outdoor soprano (finding one used for $70 made the decision easy). I had a concert nova (and flight tus and m40 flea) and each had some limitation that left me wanting something else.
    That’s just the feedback I needed. I think an outdoor soprano might be the ticket

I keep my Magic Fluke Flea in the car in all conditions. Always stable, no issues....
    ,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";, ;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''" ;,

Tiki King Flea Soprano
    J&D Solid Concert (a.k.a., CNZ EUK-200) - modded to stick
    Tangi Mango Concert
    World of Ukes Eden Origin Tenor
    Koa Kalane Cutaway Concert Acacia

,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";, ;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''";,;"''" ;,

Quote Originally Posted by kozmoboxman View Post
    I keep my Magic Fluke Flea in the car in all conditions. Always stable, no issues....
    Ok. Now you’ve added that one to the conversation.... go on.

Quote Originally Posted by kozmoboxman View Post
    Ok. Now you added that to the conversation. Ha ha. Go on.

This is the uke that lives in my car. I bought it direct from China via AliExpress. It cost less than US$30; its body is made from High Pressure Laminate; it plays well; it sounds very respectable; it's as tough as an old boot; I won't weep if it gets damaged. It is pretty generic. There are lots of brands just like it.

The weather here in the UK is not too extreme. The main thing that can go wrong is the high temperature that can build up in a parked car during the summer months. It doesn't affect this uke itself, but it can destroy the strings!
    HPL body, soprano.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    This is the uke that lives in my car. I bought it direct from China via AliExpress. It cost less than US$30; its body is made from High Pressure Laminate; it plays well; it sounds very respectable; it's as tough as an old boot; I won't weep if it gets damaged. It is pretty generic. There are lots of brands just like it.

The weather here in the UK is not too extreme. The main thing that can go wrong is the high temperature that can build up in a parked car during the summer months. It doesn't affect this uke itself, but it can destroy the strings!
    HPL body, soprano.jpg
    Quite a smart little uke! Having traveled to the UK I certainly understand that the temps aren’t quite that extreme. Here in the Mid-Atlantic it can get very cold and very hot. My main concern would be the the glue on the braces and the frets lifting, that’s why I’m looking for a mostly composite uke.

Thread Information