Thread: Unintentional Pull-offs

Default Unintentional Pull-offs

I frequently find that when I lift my fingers from a fret to change to a different position, the string will "stick" a bit to my fingertip and play an unintended note. It's not particularly loud but it's enough to be noticeable (and irritating), particularly when playing a quiet piece or section. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to reduce or eliminate this audible distraction?
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

I play steel string guitars mainly 12 string and six string with medium gauge and thus have callous grooves on my finger tips. I find that thin fluorocarbon strings tend to get stuck in those which is quite unpleasant. But I use Aquila strings on most of my ukes where I don't have this problem and they sound fuller too. So maybe also try some thicker strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    I frequently find that when I lift my fingers from a fret to change to a different position, the string will "stick" a bit to my fingertip and play an unintended note. It's not particularly loud but it's enough to be noticeable (and irritating), particularly when playing a quiet piece or section. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to reduce or eliminate this audible distraction?
    I have the same issue. I have learnt to slide my fingers off sideways a little when I lift off and it seems to solve it. It’s more obvious when you go up the fretboard as the strings get further away from the fretboard.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Anuenue Concert Banjolele
    Kolaoha Opio Concert Longneck
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday Concert
    Cocobolo Concert
    Romero Creations Baritone B6

An obvious solution if the string tends to 'stick' is that you may be fretting harder or more firmly than you need to? I suffered this for ages when I started until I learned to relax and just use the minimum grip required.
    Soprano is what does it for me every time!*

*Other Scale sizes are available and very popular with many players.

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    An obvious solution if the string tends to 'stick' is that you may be fretting harder or more firmly than you need to? I suffered this for ages when I started until I learned to relax and just use the minimum grip required.
    I think you're correct. It used to happen to me a lot more than it does lately. And I use very thin strings.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

A little hand lotion before playing may help
    I'Iwi Tenor
    Graziano Baritone
    Koaloha Concert
    Kamaka Pineapple

Thread Information