Unintentional Pull-offs

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I frequently find that when I lift my fingers from a fret to change to a different position, the string will "stick" a bit to my fingertip and play an unintended note. It's not particularly loud but it's enough to be noticeable (and irritating), particularly when playing a quiet piece or section. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to reduce or eliminate this audible distraction?

I play steel string guitars mainly 12 string and six string with medium gauge and thus have callous grooves on my finger tips. I find that thin fluorocarbon strings tend to get stuck in those which is quite unpleasant. But I use Aquila strings on most of my ukes where I don't have this problem and they sound fuller too. So maybe also try some thicker strings.

I frequently find that when I lift my fingers from a fret to change to a different position, the string will "stick" a bit to my fingertip and play an unintended note. It's not particularly loud but it's enough to be noticeable (and irritating), particularly when playing a quiet piece or section. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to reduce or eliminate this audible distraction?

I have the same issue. I have learnt to slide my fingers off sideways a little when I lift off and it seems to solve it. It’s more obvious when you go up the fretboard as the strings get further away from the fretboard.

An obvious solution if the string tends to 'stick' is that you may be fretting harder or more firmly than you need to? I suffered this for ages when I started until I learned to relax and just use the minimum grip required.

An obvious solution if the string tends to 'stick' is that you may be fretting harder or more firmly than you need to? I suffered this for ages when I started until I learned to relax and just use the minimum grip required.

I think you're correct. It used to happen to me a lot more than it does lately. And I use very thin strings.

A little hand lotion before playing may help

Top Bottom