Hello, I'd like some advice please...

smrosser

Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Scott and I am new to learning the Uke. This started when I bought a Puka Uke, off a friend. I assume this is an OK Uke to start to learn with?

However, I recently learned that my great-great aunt used to own the boarding house that George Formby used to stay at in Blackpool!

I do have a question: following a bereavement, and subsequent clearance, I came across an original boxed Roy Smeck, Junior Model Banjo Uke - complete with instruction book and capo, that dates to the early 20's (from the impression in the book). Can anyone provide any light on this at all? Is it valuable? From the state of the box, I'd say it's between 90 and 100 years old... any ideas please?

Attachments

• s-l1607.jpg
    s-l1607.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1606.jpg
    s-l1606.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1605.jpg
    s-l1605.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 44
  • s-l1604.jpg
    s-l1604.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1603.jpg
    s-l1603.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 38
Hi there,

My name is Scott and I am new to learning the Uke. This started when I bought a Puka Uke, off a friend. I assume this is an OK Uke to start to learn with?

However, I recently learned that my great-great aunt used to own the boarding house that George Formby used to stay at in Blackpool!

I do have a question: following a bereavement, and subsequent clearance, I came across an original boxed Roy Smeck, Junior Model Banjo Uke - complete with instruction book and capo, that dates to the early 20's (from the impression in the book). Can anyone provide any light on this at all? Is it valuable? From the state of the box, I'd say it's between 90 and 100 years old... any ideas please?

Treat the box and instrument very carefully. The music, etc. The good condition box and music, the signature on the banjolele increases the value substantially.

You need to get this appraised. I think it is very valuable. Others in the UK can tell you the best place to have it done.

I'd wear white cotton gloves when handling it. Acids and oils in the skin can discolor and damage the paper in the box & music. Not to mention the finish of the uke.

Hi and welcome,
If the puka stays in tune for a couple of minutes you are good to go. Ideally you will not have to tune every couple of minutes, so if you keep going out of tune, then it will be time to fix that before you get a into the groove.

Treat the box and instrument very carefully. The music, etc. The good condition box and music, the signature on the banjolele increases the value substantially.

You need to get this appraised. I think it is very valuable. Others in the UK can tell you the best place to have it done.

I'd wear white cotton gloves when handling it. Acids and oils in the skin can discolor and damage the paper in the box & music. Not to mention the finish of the uke.

Thanks, that is tremendously helpful! I’ll get it valued.

Concerning the little banjo, I would advise you to contact John Croft (theukuleleman). He is located near Oswestry and is a very knowledgeable and helpful chap.

John Colter

Wow! That's a find!

Way cool! Don't leave it lying around.....

Hi there,

I recently bought an old Roy Smeck Vita Uke for $325. If you can connect that instrument to Roy himself - one that Roy played - the price would be very high. Having his autograph on it is a big plus.

Like many antique items, if you have the original box and the instruction book along with the original instrument that is a very rare thing, and will raise the price considerably. Having the autograph, if genuine will also raise it again. The fact that you have a story that goes with it, about the boarding house will create even more interest. If you have any period photos of the house, and of course your great-great aunt, with or without Mr. Smeck will also raise interest. It would be great if you had a period photo of the interior of the room he rented.

Anything that makes it personalized and connected to the item helps establish provenance for the buyer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom