Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, I'd like some advice please...

Default Hello, I'd like some advice please...

Hi there,

My name is Scott and I am new to learning the Uke. This started when I bought a Puka Uke, off a friend. I assume this is an OK Uke to start to learn with?

However, I recently learned that my great-great aunt used to own the boarding house that George Formby used to stay at in Blackpool!

I do have a question: following a bereavement, and subsequent clearance, I came across an original boxed Roy Smeck, Junior Model Banjo Uke - complete with instruction book and capo, that dates to the early 20's (from the impression in the book). Can anyone provide any light on this at all? Is it valuable? From the state of the box, I'd say it's between 90 and 100 years old... any ideas please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by smrosser View Post
    Hi there,

My name is Scott and I am new to learning the Uke. This started when I bought a Puka Uke, off a friend. I assume this is an OK Uke to start to learn with?

However, I recently learned that my great-great aunt used to own the boarding house that George Formby used to stay at in Blackpool!

I do have a question: following a bereavement, and subsequent clearance, I came across an original boxed Roy Smeck, Junior Model Banjo Uke - complete with instruction book and capo, that dates to the early 20's (from the impression in the book). Can anyone provide any light on this at all? Is it valuable? From the state of the box, I'd say it's between 90 and 100 years old... any ideas please?
    Treat the box and instrument very carefully. The music, etc. The good condition box and music, the signature on the banjolele increases the value substantially.

You need to get this appraised. I think it is very valuable. Others in the UK can tell you the best place to have it done.

I'd wear white cotton gloves when handling it. Acids and oils in the skin can discolor and damage the paper in the box & music. Not to mention the finish of the uke.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Hi and welcome,
    If the puka stays in tune for a couple of minutes you are good to go. Ideally you will not have to tune every couple of minutes, so if you keep going out of tune, then it will be time to fix that before you get a into the groove.
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Treat the box and instrument very carefully. The music, etc. The good condition box and music, the signature on the banjolele increases the value substantially.

You need to get this appraised. I think it is very valuable. Others in the UK can tell you the best place to have it done.

I'd wear white cotton gloves when handling it. Acids and oils in the skin can discolor and damage the paper in the box & music. Not to mention the finish of the uke.
    Thanks, that is tremendously helpful! I’ll get it valued.

Concerning the little banjo, I would advise you to contact John Croft (theukuleleman). He is located near Oswestry and is a very knowledgeable and helpful chap.

John Colter

Wow! That's a find!
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

Way cool! Don't leave it lying around.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Welcome Scott! Keep a close eye on that banjolele!

Very rare, I'd say, & worth a great deal to a collector - so what model Kamaka do you fancy.......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by smrosser View Post
    Hi there,

I recently bought an old Roy Smeck Vita Uke for $325. If you can connect that instrument to Roy himself - one that Roy played - the price would be very high. Having his autograph on it is a big plus.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information