Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    IMHO, all the strings mentioned will sound better than the Nylguts. Try putting the Martin M600s on for a while to set a baseline as to how the S1 will sound with a set of good strings then go from there with the others to find your preference.
    It all depends on what sound you are looking for. I have an old Martin which I used various fluorocarbon strings (Worth, Martin, etc) A while back I threw on a set of the Nyltech (D'Addario's Nylgut product). Right now I really find I like the less chime-y, less sustained, vintage kind of sound they get. They are great for strumming and for rhythmic playing. I was never a big fan of the Nygut style strings on some other instruments, but these are working very well.

So, it is always worth trying various options to see what suits your instrument and taste.

I have a Martin S-0, and I've been through various sets and brands of strings. I always seem to come back to Martin M-600's. But in my case, here's the key--
    I am using the higher " a D F# B " tuning. In fact, the "care and feeding" information sheet that came with the uke specifies " a D F# B " as the intended tuning for the uke. Obviously, the more common " g C E A " tuning will work fine too, but honestly, I don't think there's any question but that the " a D F# B " tuning makes my S-0 really come alive!

So Bill, you use the standard Martin M600 strings tuned up to D?

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    I've been happy with Martin M600 fluorocarbons on my Martin soprano. They are very similar to Worth clear strings.
    Very happy with M600's, myself...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

I listened to a bunch of strings on sopranos ukes yesterday and today and I notice that Worth clears are very etheric sounding when picked but sound a little thin when strummed but the sustain and volume was big. I notice with the Worth Browns that they sound more natural on a soprano and you get more depth in sound but you sacrifice the very long sustain and super high pitch highs and some volume. From what I listened to I prefer the deeper richer more natural sound of the Browns because i'm not looking to bring out highs in this soprano because it already has it. It is more medium and lower tones that I am looking for and the Browns clearly bring more of that than clears. I don't care about volume or sustain really because it's a Martin soprano and they already have good sustain and volume. It's deeper tone that I want and the Browns seem to bring it the most of the stuff I have heard. Any other strings that bring out lows but still have good all around sound and not Nylgut ? I will say Nylgut do have good low sounds but it's that plasticy sound of those thick strings with that plunky sound that I don't like. The Browns seem to be a cross between Clears and Nylgut in their sound, kind of.

It sounds as if the Worth Brown would be a great choice for what you want. They are really nice and suit many sopranos really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    So Bill, you use the standard Martin M600 strings tuned up to D?
    Yes, that's correct, John. In fact, in the same sentence where the factory "care and feeding" sheet mentions the higher D tuning, they also suggest the use of M-600 strings. I guess that makes sense, as I think the M-600 packaging refers to the strings as "soprano/concert"-- maybe a concert-scale uke in C tuning is about the same tension as a soprano in D tuning?

does this high D tuning make the uke sound higher and even less warm with almost no bottom to it at all ? It sounds interesting but I don't want to be strumming some high pitch tinny sounding thin thing. I like the jazzy chords and I have heard warmer strings sound better but I don't know of many warm strings and the Worth Browns do come across nice on sopranos and have a natural sound with some good warmth and a noticeable bottom that I don't here in Clears. I don't get the appeal of high pitch chimey sopranos and that sound wears thin with me quickly because there is little to no depth in tone but sheep will be sheep and especially Martin fanboys that can't get off of tradition and stuck in some sort of archaic nostalgia. Yeah it did need to be said and hopefully it will wake up some the fantasy nostalgia dorks. Just Sayin and to bad for those that aren't ready for the truth yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ukahuna View Post
    I don't get the appeal of high pitch chimey sopranos and that sound wears thin with me quickly because there is little to no depth in tone but sheep will be sheep and especially Martin fanboys that can't get off of tradition and stuck in some sort of archaic nostalgia. Yeah it did need to be said and hopefully it will wake up some the fantasy nostalgia dorks. Just Sayin and to bad for those that aren't ready for the truth yet
    One of my favorite things about this space is that people do not insult each other. Something to consider.
    Brad Donaldson Martin 0 style mahogany soprano
    Weymann 1920 Model 10 mahogany soprano
    Winner (Harmony) 1920s "fancy" mahogany soprano
    Regal 1940s mahogany soprano
    Martin 0 1950s mohogany soprano
    Anuenue Flame Maple soprano 2012
    Japanese, 1950s no name mahogany laminate

Coming late summer/fall, two Brad Donaldson Martin 2 and 3 ukes, one Myrtle and one Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Ukahuna View Post
    does this high D tuning make the uke sound higher and even less warm with almost no bottom to it at all ? It sounds interesting but I don't want to be strumming some high pitch tinny sounding thin thing. I like the jazzy chords and I have heard warmer strings sound better but I don't know of many warm strings and the Worth Browns do come across nice on sopranos and have a natural sound with some good warmth and a noticeable bottom that I don't here in Clears. I don't get the appeal of high pitch chimey sopranos and that sound wears thin with me quickly because there is little to no depth in tone but sheep will be sheep and especially Martin fanboys that can't get off of tradition and stuck in some sort of archaic nostalgia. Yeah it did need to be said and hopefully it will wake up some the fantasy nostalgia dorks. Just Sayin and to bad for those that aren't ready for the truth yet
    Ukahuna, I think it all depends on what a person is looking for in a uke. I am primarily a strummer/singer, and I love the way the higher-pitched uke blends with my lower-pitched voice-- the two sort of "stay out of each other's way", and the combination is sonically pleasing, at least to my ear. Plus, as a guitar player for over 50 years, I love the "change of vibe" that the " a D F# B " -tuned ukulele affords. Respectfully, it really doesn't have anything to do with nostalgia or fanboyism. As they say... your mileage may vary.

Thread Information