Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

Giving and taking advice on a forum is an endeavor fraught with dangers. At some point it may be better to call it a day.
    At the end of the day, buy some strings (they're cheap) and see what you like the best based on your own personal experience. If you like, share your final decision.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Pono MC, Concert

Well you are only going to choose one set for the changeout, and you won't know til you try them. String videos are limited in their ability to actually convey how a set of strings sound, and more importantly to me, cannot convey how they feel. I would try Worth Browns, (I have these on a mahogany backed uke), Worth Clears (I have these on a custom), Uke Logic (my all-around favorite), and/or Living Water (a close second all-around favorite). I also do not like Nylguts, and I think you'd prefer any one of the above mentioned strings. I have M600s on an acacia soprano, and while they don't sound bad, they are not my favorites.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

I just as much warmth and bottom as possible from a string and wanting to know which strings bring that the most on a soprano. It seems Worth Browns do that well but what others are there ? I know it's not Martin clear 600 and have been advised that they are decent strings but if I was to go for clears that I could do much better than those. I may get some Worth Brown medium and some Ko Olau warm strings. Would like to know of some others making pretty warm strings that will bring out some bottom in a soprano. I know it's limited anyway with a soprano and that is why i am trying to get as much bottom as I can from the strings and i am not a fan overall of the Nylgut that are currently on this soprano.

You should get a set of strings that you’re interested in & try ‘em out. That’s the only way you’ll know. If you don’t like them, try another set when it’s time to change strings.
    Last edited by ampeep; 06-05-2021 at 11:11 AM.

You are mainly looking at fluorocarbon fishing line strings that by their nature are all fairly harsh sounding. Only the fluorocarbon connoisseur can distinguish their brand nuances. For what you want you will need some kind of Nylon string, for example a Titanium might do the trick. Best get four or five different kinds and stick with the first one you like after a month of playing

Quote Originally Posted by Ukahuna View Post
    I just as much warmth and bottom as possible from a string and wanting to know which strings bring that the most on a soprano. It seems Worth Browns do that well but what others are there ? I know it's not Martin clear 600 and have been advised that they are decent strings but if I was to go for clears that I could do much better than those. I may get some Worth Brown medium and some Ko Olau warm strings. Would like to know of some others making pretty warm strings that will bring out some bottom in a soprano. I know it's limited anyway with a soprano and that is why i am trying to get as much bottom as I can from the strings and i am not a fan overall of the Nylgut that are currently on this soprano.
    Ukahuna, I'm almost afraid to ask, but... why don't you just go with the "low G" tuning if it's bottom you're seeking?

Maybe D’Addario black nylon

I am not familiar with titanium in strings and does anyone use them ? Never been a fan of any nylon strings because they sound flat compared to fluoro strings. The Worth Browns and something else is what I'm going to get but I don't know what that something else is and I want it something in the vein of lower sounding fluoro strings like Worth Brown. I like Pepe Romero strings for the Grand Tenor and those are the only strings I have ever bought but that is a big tenor with a wound low G and a totally different animal than a mahogany soprano sound and I don't want to put a low G on this soprano. I would like to get the most rich earthy warm sound out of this soprano without going low G or using flat sounding black nylon strings and it's crazy with all the string options but not a lot in the range that are like the Worth Browns from what I have seen and heard. Am I missing some type or brand option ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukahuna View Post
    I am not familiar with titanium in strings and does anyone use them ? Never been a fan of any nylon strings because they sound flat compared to fluoro strings.
    ?
    ‘Titanium’ strings seem to confuse - certainly confused me in the past. As I understand it they are a form of clear nylon that looks just a little darker than ‘normal’ clear nylon and is very slightly denser and very slightly stronger. I’ve not tried them but intend to at some point, certainly they have supporters here on this forum. SUS have a good video on D’Addario nylon strings, it might help you.

Girl meets Uke might help too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okl9cxhTS-g
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-07-2021 at 04:34 AM.

Another option may be Oasis, offered in both bright & warm versions, you may want to try the Warm set. Same set for soprano, concert & tenor. You get long strings which you can cut in half to yield 2 complete sets. Easy to get from Strings By Mail.

Screenshot_20210607-091700_Chrome.jpg

Thread Information