Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

One of my favorite things about this space is that people do not insult each other. Something to consider.

Yes! I agree. Hopefully that will remain the case. We can all learn so much in life by being open minded.

Last edited:
Step 1: Ask what string type or brand best suits a Martin.
Step 2: Get the same respose from different people.
Step.3: Insult the people who responded with the same response.

Welcome to 2021 folks. Obviously we are all here to share bad advice. Those M600s that some of us like to use and recommend are rubbish and we are all just brainwashed into preffering an inferior sound. Wake up people! Wait, what if we are the 'woke' ones? Then, go to sleep people?! Hmm...

LOL. Yeah, it was all a very elaborated planned con!

Step 1: Ask what string type or brand best suits a Martin.
Step 2: Get the same respose from different people.
Step.3: Insult the people who responded with the same response.

Welcome to 2021 folks. Obviously we are all here to share bad advice. Those M600s that some of us like to use and recommend are rubbish and we are all just brainwashed into preffering an inferior sound. Wake up people! Wait, what if we are the 'woke' ones? Then, go to sleep people?! Hmm...

I’m guessing that the op was hoping to get some reinforcement for Worth Brown strings. I like them on my Koa ukuleles. Not so much on mahogany. YMMV
Nothing wrong with Worth Brown on a S1. If you like how your strings sound on your ukulele that’s kool with me even though I liked M100s on the S1 I used to have.

Last edited:
I think that is key. As many have said in other threads- strings are relatively cheap. It is not too hard to buy a bunch of sets and figure out what works and meets your needs and tastes. Just about every combination has fans.

Im guessing that the op was hoping to get some reinforcement for Worth Brown strings. I like them on my Koa ukuleles. Not so much on mahogany. YMMV
Nothing wrong with Worth Brown on a S1. If you like how your strings sound on your ukulele thats kool with me even though I like M100s on the S1 I used to have.

I completely agree. Some of my koa ukes can sound lovely with Worth Browns but all my mahogany ukes have sounded a bit muted and too mellow for my liking with them. Then again, the Martin S1 I had actually could've benefited from Worth Browns because it was SO bright sounding. Didn't get a chance to test before I sold it though. In any case, if one prefers Worth Browns or similar strings on one's mahogany ukes then who am I to judge. I know plenty of well-known uke players who do that, and it's not a universal rule anyway. No doubt those strings will always sound excellent on certain ukes. My experience just has veered me to a certain direction.

However, that comment about sheep and Martin M600s strings and the distain for D tuning just came out of nowhere. What a bizarre rant. I mean give it a rest mate, wtf... :D

Edit.

Something about the "truth" as well, as if there are rules how one is supposed to play and enjoy the ukulele. I seriously can't imagine where that rant came from. :D

Last edited:
Something about the "truth" as well, as if there are rules how one is supposed to play and enjoy the ukulele. I seriously can't imagine where that rant came from. :D

.......and I was always told the ukulele was a happy instrument!

Sheep, fanboys & dorks? What "needs to be said" is that the OP is not making many friends here so far.

Indeed the response to the many excellent answers to the question is very sad, but also shows that the wrong question was asked. It seems the OP wanted to know how to make his thin and bright sounding uke appear more warm and mellow. Answers to that would likely suggest that it has nothing to do with strings or the uke but is all in right hand strumming technique, or more likely the lack thereof. If you know different strumming techniques then it is quite easy to make any uke sound warmer or harsher regardless of strings.

Have not concluded on Worth Browns as some here may think but I am wanting to rid of the Nylgut strings and replace them with a string that is warm and has some decent bottom and the uke sounds decent but it's the strings I don't like and have never been a fan of the Nylgut strings. i am going on sound samples of strings i have heard on Youtube and the Worth Browns sound nice but I was looking for many options other than Martin or Worth and wanted to know my options but got a bunch of off topic comments and side conversation here on strings in regard to their Martin. Warm string options for Martins was the question and not side conversations about tunings and strumming styles. There has to be more options than what has been said here but I don't know how many there are. I also have heard Ko olau makes some warmer style strings that are decent but to stay away from the Kamaka black strings

Giving and taking advice on a forum is an endeavor fraught with dangers. At some point it may be better to call it a day.
At the end of the day, buy some strings (they're cheap) and see what you like the best based on your own personal experience. If you like, share your final decision.

Well you are only going to choose one set for the changeout, and you won't know til you try them. String videos are limited in their ability to actually convey how a set of strings sound, and more importantly to me, cannot convey how they feel. I would try Worth Browns, (I have these on a mahogany backed uke), Worth Clears (I have these on a custom), Uke Logic (my all-around favorite), and/or Living Water (a close second all-around favorite). I also do not like Nylguts, and I think you'd prefer any one of the above mentioned strings. I have M600s on an acacia soprano, and while they don't sound bad, they are not my favorites.

I just as much warmth and bottom as possible from a string and wanting to know which strings bring that the most on a soprano. It seems Worth Browns do that well but what others are there ? I know it's not Martin clear 600 and have been advised that they are decent strings but if I was to go for clears that I could do much better than those. I may get some Worth Brown medium and some Ko Olau warm strings. Would like to know of some others making pretty warm strings that will bring out some bottom in a soprano. I know it's limited anyway with a soprano and that is why i am trying to get as much bottom as I can from the strings and i am not a fan overall of the Nylgut that are currently on this soprano.

You are mainly looking at fluorocarbon fishing line strings that by their nature are all fairly harsh sounding. Only the fluorocarbon connoisseur can distinguish their brand nuances. For what you want you will need some kind of Nylon string, for example a Titanium might do the trick. Best get four or five different kinds and stick with the first one you like after a month of playing

I just as much warmth and bottom as possible from a string and wanting to know which strings bring that the most on a soprano. It seems Worth Browns do that well but what others are there ? I know it's not Martin clear 600 and have been advised that they are decent strings but if I was to go for clears that I could do much better than those. I may get some Worth Brown medium and some Ko Olau warm strings. Would like to know of some others making pretty warm strings that will bring out some bottom in a soprano. I know it's limited anyway with a soprano and that is why i am trying to get as much bottom as I can from the strings and i am not a fan overall of the Nylgut that are currently on this soprano.

Ukahuna, I'm almost afraid to ask, but... why don't you just go with the "low G" tuning if it's bottom you're seeking?

Maybe D’Addario black nylon

I am not familiar with titanium in strings and does anyone use them ? Never been a fan of any nylon strings because they sound flat compared to fluoro strings. The Worth Browns and something else is what I'm going to get but I don't know what that something else is and I want it something in the vein of lower sounding fluoro strings like Worth Brown. I like Pepe Romero strings for the Grand Tenor and those are the only strings I have ever bought but that is a big tenor with a wound low G and a totally different animal than a mahogany soprano sound and I don't want to put a low G on this soprano. I would like to get the most rich earthy warm sound out of this soprano without going low G or using flat sounding black nylon strings and it's crazy with all the string options but not a lot in the range that are like the Worth Browns from what I have seen and heard. Am I missing some type or brand option ?

I am not familiar with titanium in strings and does anyone use them ? Never been a fan of any nylon strings because they sound flat compared to fluoro strings.
?

‘Titanium’ strings seem to confuse - certainly confused me in the past. As I understand it they are a form of clear nylon that looks just a little darker than ‘normal’ clear nylon and is very slightly denser and very slightly stronger. I’ve not tried them but intend to at some point, certainly they have supporters here on this forum. SUS have a good video on D’Addario nylon strings, it might help you.

Girl meets Uke might help too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okl9cxhTS-g

Last edited:
Excellent suggestion, John. I may grab some of those myself!
They’re good baseline strings and I always have them around. I find them very similar to the Martin strings, the main differences for me are Oasis are cheaper because I get at least three soprano or concert sets from a pack, plus they’re more versatile, as they work with all sizes. Martins, on the other hand, are still quite cheap and available at the guitar store near my house.

Top Bottom