Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

Default Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

Greetings, I have a Martin S1 Mexican made circa 2012-2013 with Honduran mahogany body and neck with Bolivian rosewood bridge and fretboard. I am more of a strummer than picker and high G string user on sopranos. My question is which strings should I use on this ? I do not like the Aquila Nylgut strings on it currently and would like some recommendations. I have been going between getting PHD or Worth but I don't know which strings to buy. I figured PHD are good because that is what Daniel Ho and Dr. Uke. AKA J-Zen AKA Jason Arimoto use and endorse but I don't know if they work as well with Martin sopranos. I have heard a lot of Martin players love Worth but I don't know which ones and I am wanting to get the strings best suited for this soprano. Any string type or brand that best suits this Martin ? Please Help. Thanks

I've been happy with Martin M600 fluorocarbons on my Martin soprano. They are very similar to Worth clear strings.

I have a Martin S2 Soprano from 2012, and I’ve tried Aquila (which I didn’t like), Martin M600 (which were ok) and Worth Browns (which I like a lot). I haven’t tried Worth Clears yet, but they would be the other type I’d consider.

Also, Worth Browns are great on my Martin T1 tenor.

I asked some uke stores today and the Worth clear medium CM 46 seem like the optimal all around string that would suit this soprano well but I would like some more feed back on strings before I do anything. Thanks

IMHO, all the strings mentioned will sound better than the Nylguts. Try putting the Martin M600s on for a while to set a baseline as to how the S1 will sound with a set of good strings then go from there with the others to find your preference.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Pono MC, Concert

Martin M600.

I put Martin M600's on all my ukes . Be sure to put a good size knot on your A string . i always put a 3mm bead on my A string to be sure it
    wont pop out . Sometimes when they pop out they take a piece out of the bridge .
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 06-02-2021 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Not telling
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Ukahuna View Post
    Greetings, I have a Martin S1 Mexican made circa 2012-2013 with Honduran mahogany body and neck with Bolivian rosewood bridge and fretboard. I am more of a strummer than picker and high G string user on sopranos. My question is which strings should I use on this ? I do not like the Aquila Nylgut strings on it currently and would like some recommendations. I have been going between getting PHD or Worth but I don't know which strings to buy. I figured PHD are good because that is what Daniel Ho and Dr. Uke. AKA J-Zen AKA Jason Arimoto use and endorse but I don't know if they work as well with Martin sopranos. I have heard a lot of Martin players love Worth but I don't know which ones and I am wanting to get the strings best suited for this soprano. Any string type or brand that best suits this Martin ? Please Help. Thanks
    I like the Martin strings.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

As others mentioned Martin strings are good idea, their ukes are designed with those strings so if you use them you will get closest to what they were intended to sound like. There are also new Premium Martin strings available that may provide a more authentic vintage sound.

Were the Mexican-made Martin sopranos really made from Honduran mahogany? That's a genuine question because if so, I had no idea.

Anyway, lot's of people recommending the Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings and I tend to agree. Those mid-priced Martin ukes come with those strings nowadays. Worth CMs are definitely worth (pun intended) a try as well. They're very similar but a bit thinner, especially the C string. If you'd like to try something a bit more mellow but still fairly bright you could try some dark fluorocarbon strings like Worth BMs (Browns).

Thread Information