Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which strings for Martin sopranos ?

Quote Originally Posted by richntacoma View Post
    One of my favorite things about this space is that people do not insult each other. Something to consider.
    Yes! I agree. Hopefully that will remain the case. We can all learn so much in life by being open minded.
    Last edited by EDW; 06-04-2021 at 02:16 AM.

Step 1: Ask what string type or brand best suits a Martin.
    Step 2: Get the same respose from different people.
    Step.3: Insult the people who responded with the same response.

Welcome to 2021 folks. Obviously we are all here to share bad advice. Those M600s that some of us like to use and recommend are rubbish and we are all just brainwashed into preffering an inferior sound. Wake up people! Wait, what if we are the 'woke' ones? Then, go to sleep people?! Hmm...

LOL. Yeah, it was all a very elaborated planned con!

Quote Originally Posted by dgame View Post
    Step 1: Ask what string type or brand best suits a Martin.
    Step 2: Get the same respose from different people.
    Step.3: Insult the people who responded with the same response.

Welcome to 2021 folks. Obviously we are all here to share bad advice. Those M600s that some of us like to use and recommend are rubbish and we are all just brainwashed into preffering an inferior sound. Wake up people! Wait, what if we are the 'woke' ones? Then, go to sleep people?! Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by richntacoma View Post
    One of my favorite things about this space is that people do not insult each other. Something to consider.
    Well said and nicely put.

I’m guessing that the op was hoping to get some reinforcement for Worth Brown strings. I like them on my Koa ukuleles. Not so much on mahogany. YMMV
    Nothing wrong with Worth Brown on a S1. If you like how your strings sound on your ukulele that’s kool with me even though I liked M100s on the S1 I used to have.
    Last edited by kkimura; 06-04-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: grammer
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Pono MC, Concert

I think that is key. As many have said in other threads- strings are relatively cheap. It is not too hard to buy a bunch of sets and figure out what works and meets your needs and tastes. Just about every combination has fans.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Im guessing that the op was hoping to get some reinforcement for Worth Brown strings. I like them on my Koa ukuleles. Not so much on mahogany. YMMV
    Nothing wrong with Worth Brown on a S1. If you like how your strings sound on your ukulele thats kool with me even though I like M100s on the S1 I used to have.
    I completely agree. Some of my koa ukes can sound lovely with Worth Browns but all my mahogany ukes have sounded a bit muted and too mellow for my liking with them. Then again, the Martin S1 I had actually could've benefited from Worth Browns because it was SO bright sounding. Didn't get a chance to test before I sold it though. In any case, if one prefers Worth Browns or similar strings on one's mahogany ukes then who am I to judge. I know plenty of well-known uke players who do that, and it's not a universal rule anyway. No doubt those strings will always sound excellent on certain ukes. My experience just has veered me to a certain direction.

However, that comment about sheep and Martin M600s strings and the distain for D tuning just came out of nowhere. What a bizarre rant. I mean give it a rest mate, wtf...

Edit.

Something about the "truth" as well, as if there are rules how one is supposed to play and enjoy the ukulele. I seriously can't imagine where that rant came from.
    Last edited by Dohle; 06-04-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Something about the "truth" as well, as if there are rules how one is supposed to play and enjoy the ukulele. I seriously can't imagine where that rant came from.
    .......and I was always told the ukulele was a happy instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Sheep, fanboys & dorks? What "needs to be said" is that the OP is not making many friends here so far.
    Indeed the response to the many excellent answers to the question is very sad, but also shows that the wrong question was asked. It seems the OP wanted to know how to make his thin and bright sounding uke appear more warm and mellow. Answers to that would likely suggest that it has nothing to do with strings or the uke but is all in right hand strumming technique, or more likely the lack thereof. If you know different strumming techniques then it is quite easy to make any uke sound warmer or harsher regardless of strings.

Have not concluded on Worth Browns as some here may think but I am wanting to rid of the Nylgut strings and replace them with a string that is warm and has some decent bottom and the uke sounds decent but it's the strings I don't like and have never been a fan of the Nylgut strings. i am going on sound samples of strings i have heard on Youtube and the Worth Browns sound nice but I was looking for many options other than Martin or Worth and wanted to know my options but got a bunch of off topic comments and side conversation here on strings in regard to their Martin. Warm string options for Martins was the question and not side conversations about tunings and strumming styles. There has to be more options than what has been said here but I don't know how many there are. I also have heard Ko olau makes some warmer style strings that are decent but to stay away from the Kamaka black strings

Thread Information