Developing a bass "melody" simultaneously with a treble

Piecomics

Reaction score
Having the discussion about the interplay between two distinctly voiced melodies played simultaneously. Not counterpoint per se. For instance the beginning of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=626pNZB8xXE prior to the beginning of the vocal section has a distinct (and fun) bass and (for lack of a better term) treble component.

A piano playing friend doubts that the ukulele can pull this off meaningfully due to the lack of... available octaves, but it seems possible particularly with a non-re-entrantly tuned instrument. Curious if anyone has thoughts about it or can think of specific examples?

Yes not enough range for big distinction. Ukulele is a treble only instrument by design, even with low G the lowest note is still higher than where guitar basses start. Theoretically you can shift some things to the really high notes, but just because one can theoretically do things does not mean they should be done. If you want to enjoy larger range of playing options just get a guitar!

Hmmm. I don't confine myself to the low G uke, my main instrument is a kora which has plenty of capacity for this style of play. Why don't I play the guitar? I do.

Also wasn't having an argument with my friend? Just thought it was an interesting topic we were discussing. on the uke I hear a lot of chord melody which makes sense because it allows the lower notes to function almost more like a drone rather than a fully realized 2nd voice, but it isn't like I've heard everything.

I was surprised at your aggressive and mischaracterizing response (Bill1) until I looked at your last few posts and see that apparently that is just your style.

(MikeS) This is super helpful! I hadn't heard Kimo Hussey but yeah, that is what I am looking for! And I am familiar with Travis picking but wasn't familiar with Piedmont. I was curious because I live in the Piedmont area of NC. It is interesting that this area has such a rich tradition... round peak fiddle/banjo, blues...

thanks!

Is Klaus Schindler the style you are talking about? Klaus has a lot of works on that style similar to the video. That video is only one sample.
Sorry if it's not your expected style, I'm not quite familiar with different music style.

wqking, yes this is exactly what I am talking about. thanks!

(it isn't the style that is so important to me as the... technique? of playing multiple voices that are differentiated by pitch. I was using the blues song as an example. I could as easily have used a Ludovico Einaudi song)

Top Bottom