Slippery banjo uke

Elin

Reaction score
I've using an Aklot banjo uke, and having trouble keeping it on my lap. It slides around a lot, and I'm finding myself hunched over to keep it still which is making my chords feel crunched and horrible and the whole instrument seem angled too far towards me. I've read about non-slip mats on the forum, but the aklot is open-backed, meaning there's little space to attach a mat. Suggestions are appreciated - I thought there might be a mat I could rest over my legs while playing? I did try using the strap, but it doesn't really help the problem.

I've using an Aklot banjo uke, and having trouble keeping it on my lap. It slides around a lot, and I'm finding myself hunched over to keep it still which is making my chords feel crunched and horrible and the whole instrument seem angled too far towards me. I've read about non-slip mats on the forum, but the aklot is open-backed, meaning there's little space to attach a mat. Suggestions are appreciated - I thought there might be a mat I could rest over my legs while playing? I did try using the strap, but it doesn't really help the problem.

I know I have seen non-slip mats for guitars that you drape over your leg. Might try Amazon or some large music stores. Otherwise, maybe a silicone placemat or countertop mat might work. The counter mats are slightly thicker. They have lots of those for sale on the Amazon in kitchen stuff. The table placemats are pretty thin, so you could cut to size. They'll be non-marking on the finish as well.

I cured my B/U of such behaviour by using an old camera strap; it clips on easily at the soundbox end, and I found a way of fixing it to the headstock.

I cured my B/U of such behaviour by using an old camera strap; it clips on easily at the soundbox end, and I found a way of fixing it to the headstock.

But what about when you need to play behind your head??

For slippery instruments, I have found the grippy stuff that they sell as shelf liner works quite well. It’s flexible, inexpensive, and easy to find. Usually comes on a roll, so you can cut it down to whatever size works best for your lap.

For slippery instruments, I have found the grippy stuff that they sell as shelf liner works quite well. It’s flexible, inexpensive, and easy to find. Usually comes on a roll, so you can cut it down to whatever size works best for your lap.

Yes, cheap, versatile, effective.

One reason to use a strap. When I play out I stand, and a strap lets me play without pinning an instrument against my body, so it sounds better, I'm more relaxed, etc.

Playing with a properly adjusted strap while sitting also has advantages.

I have straps on my banjoleles and ukes. I have them adjusted so that when I wear them over my right shoulder they don't rest on my lap, but are couple of cm above my lap and the weight is on the strap. There is no problem with them sliding, since they aren't on my lap and are in the same position whether I'm standing or sitting. The strap usually fastens at the heel of the instrument, but my soprano banjolele fastens at the headstock.

Last edited:
Rubber pants.

Problem solved.

I know I have seen non-slip mats for guitars that you drape over your leg. Might try Amazon or some large music stores. Otherwise, maybe a silicone placemat or countertop mat might work. The counter mats are slightly thicker. They have lots of those for sale on the Amazon in kitchen stuff. The table placemats are pretty thin, so you could cut to size. They'll be non-marking on the finish as well.

One reason to use a strap. When I play out I stand, and a strap lets me play without pinning an instrument against my body, so it sounds better, I'm more relaxed, etc.

Playing with a properly adjusted strap while sitting also has advantages.

I have straps on my banjoleles and ukes. I have themadjusted so that when I wear them over my right shoulder they don't rest on my lap, but are couple of cm above my lap and the weight is on the strap. There is no problem with them sliding, snce tey aren't on my lap and are in the same position whether I'm standing or sitting. The strap usually fastens at the heel of the instrument, but my soprano banjolele fastens at the headstock.

Thank you for the suggestions - they're all definitely worth a try! (Tho I might pass on the rubber pants... in the current heatwave we're having, I'd have to peel myself from the chair! XD) Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most effective. Thanks for the replies! :)

Top Bottom