Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor or flea which will I play more?

Default Outdoor or flea which will I play more?

I

I’m looking for a nice beater travel car uke that is durable and will stay in tune.

I’ve already posted on this so I’ve seen the suggestions—Enya, outdoor, and flea.

My question is between the outdoor or the flea which one will get more play time?

Likely it will all depend on your tastes and needs. But, I will say that the flea is a darned good instrument.

I’ve done my research as to he neck profile and I’ve read good things about both instruments. I appreciate the feedback regarding the flea. My hunch is that the outdoor would stay in tune better if left in a hot car as opposed to the flea. What do the rest of you think?

only you can answer that question... for me, I didn't really care for the flea's friction tuners or black frets on black fretboard (tough to see sometimes with old eyes and no side markers; assuming you don't get the upgraded markers or wood fretboard). the flea will sound better (and the outdoor quieter, assuming both are sopranos) but is priced a good bit higher, even without any upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by diasuke View Post
    I’ve done my research as to he neck profile and I’ve read good things about both instruments. I appreciate the feedback regarding the flea. My hunch is that the outdoor would stay in tune better if left in a hot car as opposed to the flea. What do the rest of you think?

I don't know about that. The staying in tune is more a factor of temperature, and causing the strings to expand in the heat or contract in the cold.

You should expect to, and develp the good habit of checking the tuning at the start of each playing session.

I doubt you will see a difference as per the Flea or Outdoor in terms of tuning ability.

Also you should note that the Magic Fluke ukes come with "friction tuners" by default, but you can upgrade to the Peg Hed planetary tuners (I did) and it is a world of difference and much better for me.

I find friction tuners to be fiddly and do not like them. Fortunately there are other options.

IIRC the Outdoor ukes had geared tuners by default, like a guitar does, but I never played one.

Years ago, over about a 3-year span, I bought (and later sold off) about 12 different ukuleles, and the only one I kept was my concert Flea.

I love mine, and no you cannot have it, I am taking it to the grave with me .
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Depends on the car. Avg temp inside a hot car is 118 degrees. Dark cars, with dark interiors can reach 150-180. I'd never leave my Flea in a car for very long in summer; they have wooden necks and tops. This is what Outdoor ukes were made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Depends on the car. Avg temp inside a hot car is 118 degrees. Dark cars, with dark interiors can reach 150-180. I'd never leave my Flea in a car for very long in summer; they have wooden necks and tops. This is what Outdoor ukes were made for.
    I was just thinking….
    We have a small portable refrigerator that works off the car battery or can be hauled inside a motel room. Keeps things ~40 degrees cooler than ambient. Darn thing will almost freeze a bottle of water overnight.
    One time we were traveling home through California Central Valley during the summer and we used the extended cord and placed it in the trunk.
    When it is 110 degrees outside, the inside of the trunk is much warmer and a 40 degree cooling isn’t worth much.
    Just thinking when you speak of 150+.

Quote Originally Posted by diasuke View Post
    I’m looking for a nice beater travel car uke that is durable and will stay in tune.

I’ve already posted on this so I’ve seen the suggestions—Enya, outdoor, and flea.

My question is between the outdoor or the flea which one will get more play time?
    People have been using Fleas in cars for a long time and have considered it a go anywhere instrument. Durable enough is good enough. An OU might be indestructible but strings are not and they are common to both instruments.

The Flea ain’t cheap but it does sound good, the OU is much more affordable but IMHO the Flea sounds noticeably better. People play a Flea in all types of outdoor and indoor situations but I’ve never heard of or met anyone who does that with an OU - it seems to be more single purpose to me. Instruments that don’t sound that good tend to end up being unplayed ... you’ll pick the dearer Flea up more often.

I don’t think you’d regret buying a Flea, but an OU won’t be what you want to take to your grave.

The OU is more of an affordable buy and not worry about damage purchase, an occasional rugged substitute for something that plays and sounds better. That’s my opinion for what’s worth.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-03-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Have you found one? I need one also
    Last edited by ReiQ; 06-03-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Information