Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 string players - yay or nay?

Thanks merlin666

Funny, I had a much longer reply but it got cut off…..I agree high g on 5th seems best. …..IMHO

I decided to take the Cocobolo 5 string tenor, thanks to the encouraging replies here, and now I'm really looking forward to getting it. As a plus, it's got a stunning back, lol. I'm going to look up some of the players mentioned here to see what they do with their 5 strings. More than likely my concert will go up on the Marketplace to help fund this one. Some interesting info on this thread already, would love to hear more about 5 stringed ukes.
    Last edited by Cadia; 06-06-2021 at 05:10 AM.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

I recently got a Kanile'a 5-string and couldn't be happier!

However, it was quite different to what I expected.
    It feels and sounds more like a low-G uke than you might think.
    However, to me that's a good thing since I prefer a low-G.
    Think of it as a low-G uke with a bit of pizzazz from the unique harmonic added by the high-G.

The 5-string has become my main uke now, and going back to regular 4-strings feels like it's missing something because now I'm expecting an extra string at the 4th.

Having a double course for the G also makes you adjust your technique a bit. It depends a lot on your setup (I spent a lot of hours getting my setup just right) but at first it'll feel noticeably harder to press down the double course compared to single course. Not unlike a 6-string or 8-string.

I have mine as low-G, then high-G because I prefer it playing like a low-G uke.
    But if you want it to feel a bit more high-G, you could have the high-G string first (this seems to be the more popular setup).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNf7AHGXu0
    Last edited by kissing; 06-06-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Nice, kissing, you got this tune down!

I've decided, after reading about the Cons about 5 string ukuleles, not to get one. I don't need any further complications making playing more difficult!
    Good thread.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post

I've decided, after reading about the Cons about 5 string ukuleles, not to get one. I don't need any further complications making playing more difficult!
    Good thread.
    I love to finger pick my melodies and I love ease that re-entrant allows.
    OTOH, I like the range and breadth low G provides.
    May be complicated, but it resolves the conflicts.

Too much to consider…..
    Last edited by Another Ukulele; 06-09-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post

Good thread.
    Thanks!
    I don't find that it complicates.
    The playing is rather simple - I use it like a regular low-G ukulele but each time I play the double-string, it gives me something extra.

I haven't advanced to the stage where I would 'selectively' pick the high-G (and maybe never will).

Getting used to physically pressing down the double course is not too bad.
    Depends a lot on setup and strings. When mine came from the store, the action is too high and the string choice was too tight for my liking.
    I sanded the saddle down and switched to lower tension strings. Now it plays like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    T
    I don't find that it complicates.
    The playing is rather simple - I use it like a regular low-G ukulele but each time I play the double-string, it gives me something extra.

I haven't advanced to the stage where I would 'selectively' pick the high-G (and maybe never will).

Getting used to physically pressing down the double course is not too bad.
    Depends a lot on setup and strings. When mine came from the store, the action is too high and the string choice was too tight for my liking.
    I sanded the saddle down and switched to lower tension strings. Now it plays like a dream
    So you don't need TAB for 5-string, but you can play either Low G or High G TAB on the same 5-string Ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by wqking View Post
    So you don't need TAB for 5-string, but you can play either Low G or High G TAB on the same 5-string Ukulele?
    The 5 string plays just like a 4 string for most intents and purposes.

It's like a 4 string with a fancier sounding G note.

Kissing………what stings do you now use on your 5 string? Mine came with Aquila Super Nylgut x2 with wound low G. The low G was on the fifth string. I didn’t like that so switch to high G on 5th string. I’m also interested in lower tension.

Currently, I put Oasis warm on Uke using the wound low G on 4th string from Aquila set!

I’m always curious what others have success with.

Here is my take………I mostly play in High G but do like some songs in Low G. With this 5 string set up, I play all my high G song normally. Chords ring out and you can isolate the high g for the Hawaiian sound and syncopation cause it’s on top. Yet with down stroke on thumb you get more sound with low G kicking in.

I do not have an expensive Uke…..just got an Amazon Aklot, did some set up, fret filing, adjust string……it’s pretty good intonation, plays well…..and solid mahogany top. Sides and back are laminate. This is my test Uke to see if I want to spend a lot more Money get the Kanile’a 5 string. In my area there are not many store with ukuleles and I’ve never seen a 5 string……….so this was my solution for now.

I’ve heard some great five seeing sounds o. HMS so get just about all my ukuleles from them.

Thanks for sharing your playing. Very nice.

Thread Information