Blackbird Clara: Low G or High G?

mglindo

Reaction score
I just received a Blackbird Clara and it has a smooth wound Low G setup. I'm not sure I care about it much with that setup. To me, it seems that it overpowers the other strings. I may have to change that to a High G and see if I like it better that way.

Am I wrong and I just haven't gotten used to it yet?

Does anyone else have a Blackbird Clara and how do you have yours set up?

I started with high G and it was excellent. Then I decided to make it my low G uke and used the wound G that it originally came with and had a similar experience that you describe. A local uke shop cut me a low G fluorocarbon from a large spool ("fishing line") that they use and the results have been excellent.

Mine also had the wound low G and it was overpowering as you stated. I changed the strings to Worth Browns mediums with a low G (based on a suggestion from another UU member). It still seems overpowering. My next try will be with a high G.

So far, it seems that the overpowering Low G string is a common issue for a few except for maybe Jerryc41. I do have a KoAloha Silver Tenor with a Low G setup and enjoy it very much so I am familiar with the Low G ukulele. I have a PhD set of strings I may try soon and see how that works. Thanks for all the replies.

Mike

Is that the way they come from the factory? If so it might be an issue with the uke and covered by warranty. Otherwise if it is a used uke and the low G was added by a previous owner then it might be as simple as a single string that is not matched with the set. This can easily happen when you buy a low G that is not the same brand or core material as the rest of the strings. Solution may be to buy a set of strings that includes a low G where one can expect that they are matched.

Is that the way they come from the factory? If so it might be an issue with the uke and covered by warranty. Otherwise if it is a used uke and the low G was added by a previous owner then it might be as simple as a single string that is not matched with the set. This can easily happen when you buy a low G that is not the same brand or core material as the rest of the strings. Solution may be to buy a set of strings that includes a low G where one can expect that they are matched.

I believe it came that way from the factory. I acquired it from a member on this forum and he said he had only gotten it recently. I have contacted him just to see if it did come from the factory set up that way.

Mike

Am I wrong and I just haven't gotten used to it yet?

Based on personal experience, I don't think you'll ever get used to something like this.
When the low string over powers the others like this, you lose much of the harmonics created by the higher strings and the whole tone sounds muddy.

Blackbirds come low G from the factory unless requested to be high G. A booming low G string is not unique to your instrument, though it can be more noticed with a Clara due to its great volume and tendencies toward "sounding like a tenor" more than other brands. This may be more the case if you are used to playing high G where the G string is really closest to the A string in sound.

I believe it came that way from the factory. I acquired it from a member on this forum and he said he had only gotten it recently. I have contacted him just to see if it did come from the factory set up that way.

Mike

Indeed what I learned today is that the Blackbird comes with Oasis strings and they have an option with polished brass low G so it is likely the way it's supposed to be. Interestingly Oasis provides the same diameter string for all sizes. It may be possible to control the sound of low G by changing the angle of attack and playing it with less force than you used with other ukes, takes a little practice but not difficult.

My Clara (used) came with high-G Aquila Reds which sounded and played great. Looked great, too. I switched to low-G Oasis Brights (with a wound G string) because I wanted a low-G concert. It sounds and plays great, though it doesn't look as snazzy. The Clara's super-resonant body can punch a low-G better than most concerts. Which suits me, but if it's too punchy for you there are lots of options.

Is this your first uke with low-G ? It may be the low-G is standing out like a sore thumb simply because it's different from what you're used to hearing. Maybe you'll get used to it, or maybe not. Another possibility is that your strum is at an angle that hits the G string harder than the other strings. A wound low-G sits a bit higher and it might be catching your fingers. If you play the Clara for a while and make a point of aiming at the C, E and A strings, it might start to sound better. It's a subtle thing, but we all make tiny corrections to our playing technique and every new uke, tuning and set of strings requires some adjustment.

Another option, as others have mentioned, is to try different strings. An unwound low-G might be just the ticket. Nonetheless, some people never do get to like a low-G. That's OK. Your Clara will sound wonderful in high-G tuning.

Merlin666 and acmespaceship, I do believe you folks are spot on! It's when I am playing hard where I am mostly hearing the overpowering Low G string. It is much less so when I ease up a bit. The Clara is a loud ukulele for sure and I was very surprised by that. I will play around with angle of attack on the strings and maybe not hammering on the strings so hard. It's definitely not necessary with this uke! Thanks, to everyone for all your comments on this issue.

Mike

I've found that when a low G overpowers the other strings its my technique and not the string.

I've found that when a low G overpowers the other strings its my technique and not the string.

I have played it a bit more and I am finding that this is true. Another factor that is also adding to this issue is that the Clara has a soundhole that is closer to the player and there is a sound hole on the head of the instrument.

I also just received a Jupiter Tenor #85 and it is also strung as a Low G. Adding to this it has a soundhole on the side of the player. This has the same issue of an overpowering Low G string ( at times ) like the Clara.

So..........I have concluded that it was more my technique and unfamiliarity with the instrument that was the problem more than anything else.

In conclusion, not all instruments can be played the same as the other. Duh!

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful.

Mike

Might seem obvious but that is a good point when it comes to Blackbird ukuleles. I don't have a Clara, but I do have a Farallon, and I must say it took me a few weeks to adjust to the unique animal that a Blackbird ukulele is. I had to adjust my playing (and even tunings) to the Blackbird and in time I have found it to be absolutely an essential ukulele to me..

I have played it a bit more and I am finding that this is true. Another factor that is also adding to this issue is that the Clara has a soundhole that is closer to the player and there is a sound hole on the head of the instrument.

I also just received a Jupiter Tenor #85 and it is also strung as a Low G. Adding to this it has a soundhole on the side of the player. This has the same issue of an overpowering Low G string ( at times ) like the Clara.

So..........I have concluded that it was more my technique and unfamiliarity with the instrument that was the problem more than anything else.

In conclusion, not all instruments can be played the same as the other. Duh!

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful.

Mike

Yes! Excellent point. When I got my Blackbird I tried playing all my 'go to' ukulele songs. They didn't necessarily wow me. It wasn't until I took time to come up with Blackbird specific arrangements that I came to know the versatility and beauty of these instruments.

Yes! Excellent point. When I got my Blackbird I tried playing all my 'go to' ukulele songs. They didn't necessarily wow me. It wasn't until I took time to come up with Blackbird specific arrangements that I came to know the versatility and beauty of these instruments.
Tim, or anyone else who'd like to comment: When you have time/inclination, could you expand on that? What sort of "Blackbird specific arrangements" seemed to work well? I'm asking because I've purchased a Blackbird Farallon twice and ended up returning both of them after a few days. But I keep finding myself coming back to recordings of people playing them and thinking they sound really good. I'm tempted to give it one more try and keep it past the return deadline so I can spend more time playing it and see if something "clicks."

Part of what I didn't like was that there was so much sustain and sound (coming from multiple holes/ports) that it was kind of overwhelming...like the Reverb nob was turned up to 11. :) But, maybe I needed to approach playing it differently...or maybe you get used to this and start to appreciate it after a while. ?

I really love the idea of Blackbird Ukuleles and Ekoa, which is part of the reason I keep coming back to them.

-Brett

I'd string the Blackbird Clara with a High G, and get a Blackbird Farallon with a Low G. Worth, Living Water, Uke Logic and others, all have plain, unwound Low G strings that sound great!

I don't know anything about blackbird or ekoa. I just googled it and it seems like it is made of some synthetic material. But I assumed the "blackbird specific Arrangements" referred to playing different voicings. You know, playing above the first 3 frets. Some instruments sound better on the higher frets.

Top Bottom