Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackbird Clara: Low G or High G?

Default Blackbird Clara: Low G or High G?

I just received a Blackbird Clara and it has a smooth wound Low G setup. I'm not sure I care about it much with that setup. To me, it seems that it overpowers the other strings. I may have to change that to a High G and see if I like it better that way.

Am I wrong and I just haven't gotten used to it yet?

Does anyone else have a Blackbird Clara and how do you have yours set up?

I started with high G and it was excellent. Then I decided to make it my low G uke and used the wound G that it originally came with and had a similar experience that you describe. A local uke shop cut me a low G fluorocarbon from a large spool ("fishing line") that they use and the results have been excellent.

Mine also had the wound low G and it was overpowering as you stated. I changed the strings to Worth Browns mediums with a low G (based on a suggestion from another UU member). It still seems overpowering. My next try will be with a high G.

Mine came with a low-G, and that's how I left it. I have about a dozen with low-G. It makes for a nice change.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

So far, it seems that the overpowering Low G string is a common issue for a few except for maybe Jerryc41. I do have a KoAloha Silver Tenor with a Low G setup and enjoy it very much so I am familiar with the Low G ukulele. I have a PhD set of strings I may try soon and see how that works. Thanks for all the replies.

Mike

You need one of each!

Seriously, though, the Blackbird Clara is on my short list of ukuleles that I will eventually buy.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Is that the way they come from the factory? If so it might be an issue with the uke and covered by warranty. Otherwise if it is a used uke and the low G was added by a previous owner then it might be as simple as a single string that is not matched with the set. This can easily happen when you buy a low G that is not the same brand or core material as the rest of the strings. Solution may be to buy a set of strings that includes a low G where one can expect that they are matched.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Is that the way they come from the factory? If so it might be an issue with the uke and covered by warranty. Otherwise if it is a used uke and the low G was added by a previous owner then it might be as simple as a single string that is not matched with the set. This can easily happen when you buy a low G that is not the same brand or core material as the rest of the strings. Solution may be to buy a set of strings that includes a low G where one can expect that they are matched.
    I believe it came that way from the factory. I acquired it from a member on this forum and he said he had only gotten it recently. I have contacted him just to see if it did come from the factory set up that way.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
    Am I wrong and I just haven't gotten used to it yet?
    Based on personal experience, I don't think you'll ever get used to something like this.
    When the low string over powers the others like this, you lose much of the harmonics created by the higher strings and the whole tone sounds muddy.

Blackbirds come low G from the factory unless requested to be high G. A booming low G string is not unique to your instrument, though it can be more noticed with a Clara due to its great volume and tendencies toward "sounding like a tenor" more than other brands. This may be more the case if you are used to playing high G where the G string is really closest to the A string in sound.

Thread Information