Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackbird Clara: Low G or High G?

Quote Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
    I believe it came that way from the factory. I acquired it from a member on this forum and he said he had only gotten it recently. I have contacted him just to see if it did come from the factory set up that way.

Mike
    Indeed what I learned today is that the Blackbird comes with Oasis strings and they have an option with polished brass low G so it is likely the way it's supposed to be. Interestingly Oasis provides the same diameter string for all sizes. It may be possible to control the sound of low G by changing the angle of attack and playing it with less force than you used with other ukes, takes a little practice but not difficult.

My Clara (used) came with high-G Aquila Reds which sounded and played great. Looked great, too. I switched to low-G Oasis Brights (with a wound G string) because I wanted a low-G concert. It sounds and plays great, though it doesn't look as snazzy. The Clara's super-resonant body can punch a low-G better than most concerts. Which suits me, but if it's too punchy for you there are lots of options.

Is this your first uke with low-G ? It may be the low-G is standing out like a sore thumb simply because it's different from what you're used to hearing. Maybe you'll get used to it, or maybe not. Another possibility is that your strum is at an angle that hits the G string harder than the other strings. A wound low-G sits a bit higher and it might be catching your fingers. If you play the Clara for a while and make a point of aiming at the C, E and A strings, it might start to sound better. It's a subtle thing, but we all make tiny corrections to our playing technique and every new uke, tuning and set of strings requires some adjustment.

Another option, as others have mentioned, is to try different strings. An unwound low-G might be just the ticket. Nonetheless, some people never do get to like a low-G. That's OK. Your Clara will sound wonderful in high-G tuning.

Merlin666 and acmespaceship, I do believe you folks are spot on! It's when I am playing hard where I am mostly hearing the overpowering Low G string. It is much less so when I ease up a bit. The Clara is a loud ukulele for sure and I was very surprised by that. I will play around with angle of attack on the strings and maybe not hammering on the strings so hard. It's definitely not necessary with this uke! Thanks, to everyone for all your comments on this issue.

Mike

I've found that when a low G overpowers the other strings its my technique and not the string.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014 Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings 6/21/2016 Martin S1 Soprano C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018 aNueNue AMM3 Tenor C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    I've found that when a low G overpowers the other strings its my technique and not the string.
    I have played it a bit more and I am finding that this is true. Another factor that is also adding to this issue is that the Clara has a soundhole that is closer to the player and there is a sound hole on the head of the instrument.

I also just received a Jupiter Tenor #85 and it is also strung as a Low G. Adding to this it has a soundhole on the side of the player. This has the same issue of an overpowering Low G string ( at times ) like the Clara.

So..........I have concluded that it was more my technique and unfamiliarity with the instrument that was the problem more than anything else.

In conclusion, not all instruments can be played the same as the other. Duh!

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    Might seem obvious but that is a good point when it comes to Blackbird ukuleles. I don't have a Clara, but I do have a Farallon, and I must say it took me a few weeks to adjust to the unique animal that a Blackbird ukulele is. I had to adjust my playing (and even tunings) to the Blackbird and in time I have found it to be absolutely an essential ukulele to me..
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

https://timledbetter.bandcamp.com

Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor
    Blackbird Farallon
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert
    aNueNue UC200E Moonbird
    2012 Koaloha D-VI Guitalele
    2000 Larrivee U-01 Koa soprano

Quote Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
    I have played it a bit more and I am finding that this is true. Another factor that is also adding to this issue is that the Clara has a soundhole that is closer to the player and there is a sound hole on the head of the instrument.

I also just received a Jupiter Tenor #85 and it is also strung as a Low G. Adding to this it has a soundhole on the side of the player. This has the same issue of an overpowering Low G string ( at times ) like the Clara.

So..........I have concluded that it was more my technique and unfamiliarity with the instrument that was the problem more than anything else.

In conclusion, not all instruments can be played the same as the other. Duh!

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful.

Mike
    Yes! Excellent point. When I got my Blackbird I tried playing all my 'go to' ukulele songs. They didn't necessarily wow me. It wasn't until I took time to come up with Blackbird specific arrangements that I came to know the versatility and beauty of these instruments.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

https://timledbetter.bandcamp.com

Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor
    Blackbird Farallon
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert
    aNueNue UC200E Moonbird
    2012 Koaloha D-VI Guitalele
    2000 Larrivee U-01 Koa soprano

Thread Information