Season 486 - I AM Entirely Sure

The European Championships in football are starting next week and that means one thing and one thing only. IT'S COMING HOME

In actuality it means an almighty wave of optimism that England will actually win something for the first time since the World Cup in 1966. This wave will be unstoppable until thirty minutes into the first game.

In 1996 England hosted the Euros, 30 years after they hosted the World Cup and won it, to commemorate the occasion, two comedians, Frank Skinner and David Baddiel teamed up with the Lightning Seeds to write the greatest football song ever, perfectly encaspulating the sentiment in the first paragraph

I humbly submit that it fits the brief.

My first thought was what a clever theme. Unfortunately just moments later, after I'd posted to that effect, my second thought was I wasn't clever enough to think of a song!!!
I'm not entirely sure I've got a handle on what exactly the theme is so I'm gonna let it run for a few more pages and hopefully get the gist of it before I make a tit of myself :D

the playlist link is not working for me DP....

Apologies for the mix up. Trying to do too much on a tablet, which does not have great text editing. I've redone the link behind the text and hope it is working now. I've also changed it to public, so if I failed in fixing the link then you should be able to find it by going to YT and searching for "SOTU 486".

Regardless, it is now updated to here.

An attempt to clarify the theme somewhat - Is the narrator or subject of the song confident or sure about themselves or the subject about which they are singing? This can be explicit or implied. For example, John sang a song where the narrator is the Devil. Although not stated specifically in the song, I think it is fair to deduce that the Devil is a confident entity. Another example from something already brought - Edwin played a song about not backing down, from what I'm not sure, but still a pretty explicit statement of confidence in one's position.

What I am not looking for are songs that you use personally to get motivated for something. e.g., a friend has a playlist he listens too when he goes for a run. He has Jackson Browne's Running on Empty on that playlist because it motivates him to keep going when he is tired. While that song imbues my friend with some level of confidence that he can get through the run, it does not express any feelings about confidence or being sure about something (I don't think, maybe it's a bad example, I haven't listened to it in a while). I hope that helps at least a little.

Last edited:
Here's a folk song, about someone who's sure of his feelings:

This popped into my head and I couldn't get it out, so now you have to suffer too. I don't think "Rickrolled" is quite the right word here. Steamrolled, perhaps. I'm so sorry.

I can announce with absolute certainty that the wrap for season 485 has just been posted - do take a look! :)

My sincerest apologies. This is a ridiculous song. But viewed as a horror story about to unfold, it may be slightly less offensive. Or not.

Pushing my luck on a Tenor stretch, hope it's not affecting the bone setting before the fracture clinic next week eeeeek . This narrator was confident that he will be remembered.

Hello, Andy, and thanks for the week! I think this song fits the bill ... this woman "knows where she's going!" (I have just acquired a mic - a Blue Yeti - so that I can record on my Chromebook. Today, the boom arm arrived and by the time I'd got it all set up with the shock mount and etc., I was so unnerved - I don't "do" technical - that I had completely forgotten how to play the uke. I hope it doesn't show too much!)

Is there anyone more sure of themselves in this world than a conspiracy theorist?

(I sort of went on a tangent with other issues of the day but they're all basically the same people)

Edit: Youtube have fact checked me :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:
Hello folks. Things are really mad/intense here, but I am still watching and playing when I can.

Here's one of my favourite songs about someone with a huge .... personality.

Like Chris above, it is pretty busy in my town, too. I shot this piece of low-hanging fruit while waiting in the car for the next task to come to hand.

Hi Andy! I was recently lucky enough to come into a fantastic box set of Randy Newman’s work, which includes several songs from his 1995 musical treatment of Goethe’s Faust. This one is performed by Martha, the character who helps the devil bring Faust and Gretchen together, and, in Newman’s treatment, the one the devil falls for, or lusts after. She is very self-satisfied and exudes confidence to the point of arrogance.

Life Has Been Good To Me
Randy Newman

I have been neglecting the ukulele and concentrating on guitar this week, but I figured I'dbetter get one in this season.

I KNOW by John Gorka

Curiously enough, this week's theme basically landed on a song I have been playing around with for a while. It's called Love Locks by the great Nappy Brown, and the author is dang sure he has captured his girlfriend's heart. I actually toned down the lyrics a bit. Hope you like it.

Top Bottom