Tenor string tension

mikelz777

Reaction score
Is the string tension on a tenor ukulele noticeably different than on a concert or is the difference negligible? Is it more noticeable the longer session you play?

Is the string tension on a tenor ukulele noticeably different than on a concert or is the difference negligible? Is it more noticeable the longer session you play?

It depends on the strings you use. There are some charts published here that show calculated tension for different kinds of strings by uke size. The differences are usually not big enough that they can actually be sensed in the hands or have an impact on playing experience. Other factors such as string thickness and elasticity, and uke set up are more important for that.

It is very noticeable to me. Enough that my slightly arthritic hands fatigue quickly on tenor and I consider the tenor size a mismatch for me. At a group meetup, I was able to play one song with a Blackbird Farallon tenor (and the owner played my Clara) and my hand was tired to the point of discomfort. Somewhere between concert and tenor I cross the line between pleasure and pain.

Worth strings come in light, medium, "tenor", and strong versions. The "tenor" and "strong" versions are noticeably higher tension, but they say you can still use the light tension version on a tenor ukulele if you prefer. http://worthc.to/english/about.html

It is very noticeable to me. Enough that my slightly arthritic hands fatigue quickly on tenor and I consider the tenor size a mismatch for me. At a group meetup, I was able to play one song with a Blackbird Farallon tenor (and the owner played my Clara) and my hand was tired to the point of discomfort. Somewhere between concert and tenor I cross the line between pleasure and pain.

It is possible that they have the same strings so then there may be a discernible difference. But if the concert is strung with strings designed for concert scale and the tenor with strings for tenor scale they should feel more similar

It is possible that they have the same strings so then there may be a discernible difference. But if the concert is strung with strings designed for concert scale and the tenor with strings for tenor scale they should feel more similar

The longer scale length requires a thicker string and, thus, a greater tension to achieve the same tuning (there can be some overlap - so you might use concert strings on a tenor, but then volume might decrease or some other concurrent effect will occur).

From Brad Bordessa's website:

All things being equal, a long scale has more tension than a short scale. Think of a soprano ukulele. It has a scale length of 13-14″ tuned to GCEA. A set of soprano strings are chosen for those tensions and measurements.

But put those same strings on a 17″ tenor scale and try tuning it to GCEA and you

Last edited:
As others have said, it depends on the string. I was talking with Ken Middleton about his "low tension" tenor set but he talked me out of it in favor of the standard set. I don't find the tension of the standard set to be objectionable at all, but it's good to know there are options. My usual option for tenor is to tune down a step which sounds good and reduces the tension

One of the reasons the question occurred to me is that when people mention the difference in playing a tenor compared to a concert or soprano they talk about the spacing between the frets which would be the most noticeable difference. I understand why the longer scale would have a bit more tension to arrive at the standard tuning but I wasn't sure if the feel and additional force required to fret would be noticeably different. I like light strings so that is what I would gravitate to. (My favorites are fluorocarbons - Martin, Oasis bright, Worth light)

I find that a lot of it depends on the strings. Some of my tenors are my easiest to play. My custom uke that is strung with Worth Clears has a higher tension on the E and A than my ukes strung with Uke Logic or Living Water. My Rebel is low tension (Rebel strings). As I have arthritis, I'm very cognizant of the string tension.

I prefer using Concert strings on my tenors.
I can't stand tenor strings on tenors. Too much tension.

Tenor strings on Soprano ukes is awesome though. The shorter scale benefits from the tension.

Tenor strings on Soprano ukes is awesome though. The shorter scale benefits from the tension.

Are concert strings long enough to put on a tenor?

That makes more sense than how most ukulele sets are packaged and sold. I usually used concert labeled strings on tenor too. It is more in line with how it is with other stringed instrument sets for guitars, mandolins, etc.

The uke is the only instrument I've ever seen where the strings sold for the longer scale length are generally bigger in diameter than for the smaller scales. That's backwards from the norm.

Example: If you're used to playing a guitar with a 25.5" scale and plan to switch over to a 24" scale, many people will choose thicker strings for the shorter scale instrument to add tension and to get the same feel as the longer. Of course some, like myself, enjoy the less tension.

Why uke strings are packaged and typically done just the opposite of most others is a mystery to me.
I would be careful with tenor strings on a soprano though. If it is built only to take what is typically sold as soprano strings, the tenor string tension might overwhelm it and cause issues or damage.

Are concert strings long enough to put on a tenor?

That makes more sense than how most ukulele sets are packaged and sold. I usually used concert labeled strings on tenor too. It is more in line with how it is with other stringed instrument sets for guitars, mandolins, etc.

The uke is the only instrument I've ever seen where the strings sold for the longer scale length are generally bigger in diameter than for the smaller scales. That's backwards from the norm.

Example: If you're used to playing a guitar with a 25.5" scale and plan to switch over to a 24" scale, many people will choose thicker strings for the shorter scale instrument to add tension and to get the same feel as the longer. Of course some, like myself, enjoy the less tension.

Why uke strings are packaged and typically done just the opposite of most others is a mystery to me.
I would be careful with tenor strings on a soprano though. If it is built only to take what is typically sold as soprano strings, the tenor string tension might overwhelm it and cause issues or damage.

I always thought that the differentiation in string sets for the various scales was string length! I wouldn't have guessed the difference was string gauge! I learned something today!

Last edited:
I always thought that the differentiation in string sets for the various scales was string length! I wouldn't have guessed the difference was string gauge!
Just to clarify, some string companies do make/cut shorter or longer lengths for different scales. That said, the gauge thing stands.
It just really depends on the string brand. It's something to pay attention to for sure.

I play mainly guitar and this is the first time I have have heard that people with small guitars use thick strings. Usually the specs of big dreadnaught or jumbo guitars with long scales call for thicker medium gauge strings, and smaller sized guitars that use light or thinner gauge. Maybe bigger instruments use heavier bracing to accommodate the thicker strings so they can produce bigger sound.

Similar criteria apply to ukes. Why bother with uncomfortable tenor size if not to maximize its volume and sound with as high tension as the uke can stand? I use my tenors mainly for performance and jams in noisy environments and with Nylgut strings they are at their loudest and sound best. For comfortable and quiet playing at home I use concert size ukes with fluorocarbon strings.

Last edited:

I completely agree regarding the 'strange' way ukulele strings come.

For guitar, you don't usually get different sets based on the size of the guitar. There's no "Travel size guitar strings" and "Parlor guitar strings" or "Dreadnaught strings", etc.

You get different gauges/tensions, often described across a spectrum of "light" "medium" "heavy".

Personally I think ukulele strings should come this way too.
But for some reason the industry seems to believe that Tenors need to have super high tension and Sopranos need to be really loose.
Maybe there's a historical reason?

For guitars, you normally put higher tension strings on shorter scaled instruments and lower tension strings on longer scaled instruments to achieve similar overall tension on the instrument.
By this logic we should be putting higher tension strings on Soprano ukuleles, and lower tension strings on Tenor ukuleles in the pursuit of achieving the "sweet spot" tension that we are after.

But for some reason, I think tenor ukuleles are treated like they're a higher tension instrument overall compared to sopranos and concerts.

Like I said before, I find "tenor" strings on tenor ukuleles to be rather unbearable. Putting concert strings on tenor ukuleles achieves the sweet spot of tension I am after.

Last edited:
By this logic we should be putting higher tension strings on Soprano ukuleles, and lower tension strings on Tenor ukuleles in the pursuit of achieving the "sweet spot" tension that we are after.

That's what I loved so much about Southcoast's approach (R.I.P. Dirk) - the tension and tuning charts for each string set so you could get really specific in your preference. And the charts never steered me wrong. You could theoretically do the same with any brand but it would take you a lot of time, effort, and money

That's what I loved so much about Southcoast's approach (R.I.P. Dirk) - the tension and tuning charts for each string set so you could get really specific in your preference. And the charts never steered me wrong. You could theoretically do the same with any brand but it would take you a lot of time, effort, and money

As a general rule one could just view it as

Soprano = light tension
Concert = medium tension
Tenor = hard tension

What strings I put on which uke is highly dependent on the setup, feel and sound of that uke.

I currently have tenor strings on my Soprano and concert strings on my Tenor :)

As an interesting case study, the "Concert" D'addario Pro-Arte ukulele set strings are the same tension treble strings of their "Normal tension" Classical guitar set, and the "Tenor" D'addario Pro-Arte set are the same as treble strings on the "Hard tension" Classical guitar set.

Top Bottom