Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low g strings wearing through quickly.

Default Low g strings wearing through quickly.

Anyone notice wound low g strings wearing a lot more quicker than your others? Not sure if it's my playing or if they just wear through faster than the others strings.
    I was thinking maybe it was a rough second fret but it seems to be that on both my ukes. Two different string brands too.
    Thoughts?

Yes that is one of the main reason that I avoid silver wound strings. I only get about 15 hours of heavy play time out of one and then they start to unravel. My preference is for Aquila red where I can get years out of one and they tend to sound more similar to the plain strings as well. I have not yet tried strings wound with other materials such as brass which may last longer than silver.

I dont have any wound low G strings, but on classical guitars the wound strings are usually also the first to go. So It makes sense that it is the same on ukuleles.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 06-05-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    Playing:
    Anuenue AMM tenor - Magic Fluke Koa Tenor - Cocobolo concert - Kamaka Tiki concert - Cort concert - Ohana LN soprano.

If you want to use wound low G strings, try Fremont Blackline or Pepe Romero. They seem to last quite a bit longer than others.

I've played the Thomastik-Infeld CF 30 and 27 on a baritone C tuning and tenor ukuleles and haven't experienced any problems with them. They are great sounding strings.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014 Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings 6/21/2016 Martin S1 Soprano C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018 aNueNue AMM3 Tenor C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

I’ve been using Fremont Soloist low G and find they are long lasting, with nice tone, comfortable tension, and very little squeak.

I definitely encountered that problem with Aquilas, but Fremont soloists have been fine. What brands have you used?

I think part of the wear can be attributed to your personal body chemistry interacting with the metal, so trying a different metal winding material could help. But in general, they don’t last nearly as long as unwound strings.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I definitely encountered that problem with Aquilas, but Fremont soloists have been fine. What brands have you used?
    Oasis and Aquila reds. The red lasted a lot longer than the Oasis

Have sets of unwound Fremont Black line and Worth Browns I haven't tried yet.
    Miss that kind of textured feel of the reds though.

Thread Information