Low g strings wearing through quickly.

The Aquila Red low G strings (sold separately, not wound) are the best of both worlds, in my opinion; thinner like metal due to the copper powder added, but durable like nylon / fluerocarbon strings.

The sound also blends in much better with the other strings, much less 'thumpy'.

Like all Reds, they feel a bit paper-like at first, but that goes away quickly when you play them.

I agree. My first red low G that I ever used is still going strong after more than six years and 100s of hours of play. On the other hand two that I used for low A on 6 string broke within two years near the tuner or nut, but I assume that was not due to play wear.

If you want to use wound low G strings, try Fremont Blackline or Pepe Romero. They seem to last quite a bit longer than others.

Fremont Blackline sets include an unwound low G. The Fremont wound low G is sold as a "soloist" and is gold rather than silver. Both are excellent.

So I have finally installed a d'addario NYL026W as low A on my six string. It is definitely thinner than the red and possibly thinner than the Aquila low A, and may have a bit lower tension. It definitely does not sound as crisp as the previous strings, but seems to blend in nice with the others. We will see how long it lasts. As it is a guitar string there is a a lot of extra length but not enough for two replacement so I taped the end to the uke and will see if it can be untied and extended for break near the nut or tuner. It's not pretty but worth the try. 20210612_132644.jpg

So I have finally installed a d'addario NYL026W as low A on my six string. It is definitely thinner than the red and possibly thinner than the Aquila low A, and may have a bit lower tension. It definitely does not sound as crisp as the previous strings, but seems to blend in nice with the others. We will see how long it lasts. As it is a guitar string there is a a lot of extra length but not enough for two replacement so I taped the end to the uke and will see if it can be untied and extended for break near the nut or tuner. It's not pretty but worth the try. View attachment 134264

How are your strings tuned? Thought about a 6 string. Want to maybe try one in an actual store. Do you play it like a guitar?

How are your strings tuned? Thought about a 6 string. Want to maybe try one in an actual store. Do you play it like a guitar?

Merlin666,

A suggestion, Scotch Tape, or any other brand, will start to ooze the adhesive. It doesn't take long. It will ruin the finish of your uke. It's why scrapbookers and photo archivers warn you not to use it to mount or repair photos. It also turns yellow.

You're much better off if you tie the bottom first and coil the excess at the tuners. There are a number of players that often have coiled strings on their headstocks by the tuner pegs.

Merlin666,

A suggestion, Scotch Tape, or any other brand, will start to ooze the adhesive. It doesn't take long. It will ruin the finish of your uke. It's why scrapbookers and photo archivers warn you not to use it to mount or repair photos. It also turns yellow.

You're much better off if you tie the bottom first and coil the excess at the tuners. There are a number of players that often have coiled strings on their headstocks by the tuner pegs.
Thanks I will keep an eye out for that. I may just remove the part of tape that keeps it in place. The reason I have done this is because I wear the wound strings mainly on frets 1, 2 and 3 so the experiment is if I can untie it at the bridge and use the extra length. This would not be possible with the residual string at the head end. Of course the string may be too wrinkled after untying but I thought it's worth the try and then reporting the outcome here.

Thanks for the string tips. Put on a Fremont Blackline low G and like it so far.

Well continued with the unwound Black line. Keeps going out of tune easily even with a lot of stretching. After playing it awhile found really dislike the sound. Kind of muddy. Maybe I'll try an unwound Red next. Either that or make all the strings Blackline

Well continued with the unwound Black line. Keeps going out of tune easily even with a lot of stretching. After playing it awhile found really dislike the sound. Kind of muddy. Maybe I'll try an unwound Red next. Either that or make all the strings Blackline

The red can last long and blend in nice with other strings. But be sure to watch installation video and go through stretching as recommended, otherwise they will take forever to settle in.

Top Bottom