8 string tenor string spacing at nut.

Ron Carter

Reaction score
Contemplating an 8 string build. Jammed with a friend on a 12 string guitar and was impressed with the difference the double octave strings made. Understand the wider nut but have not been able to find data on the spacing of the pairs or the individual strings.

I am building my first 8 string and am right at the nut and bridge stage. So close to completion when I saw this. My nut width is 40mm too. What is your bridge spacing. Looks like mine is going to be around 54mm. Does that sound about right?

I use the same spacing between the pairs of strings as at the nut. The total width on centre of the outside strings is 48mm on my design.

I use the same spacing between the pairs of strings as at the nut. The total width on centre of the outside strings is 48mm on my design.

I'm nearing completion of my first 8-string baritone and have gone for 45 mm between the outside string centres. Hoping this will work out OK, but far too late to change and beginning to wish I had asked for advice first! I chose the same 40 mm nut width and string spacing at the nut as Allen mentions above. It will be a couple of weeks before I anticipate stringing up.

I have a Mele 8 string tenor that measures 33mm outer to outer string at the nut and 45mm outer to outer string at the saddle. It's a perfectly playable instrument for fingerpicking as well as strumming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom