Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum bridge clamping

Hey Bob. Just off the top of my head, in your case would it help to have a vacuum clamp that has a radius the same as your ukulele top?

My vacuum clamp works just fine on the back, which has a tighter radius than the top, so the radius is not the issue. Good question though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Guitars View Post
    Printer- That is an interesting take on vacuum clamping! If I run the vacuum up to 22-23# and turn off the pump, the pressure drops within 20--30 seconds or so, so setting the pressure on/off switch lower won't help. I tested the system yesterday with a bridge on plastic and the pump cycles just as it should, so the leak is through the top somehow. Still working on it.
    Within that time period I would say you need to look for your leaks. I used to work for a place that autoclaved parts for the big airplanes, not sure if they would approve of my methods but then again that might be why I was in maintenance rather than production. At the time I was just winging it, now days if I saw something like that with no experience doing it I would raise an eyebrow.

[QUOTE=Kekani;2281150]I set my bridges with two holes drilled in the saddle for pickup installation, and a pvc rod to hold it in place while gluing. When I vacuum clamp the bridge, a piece of tape to cover the saddle slot is enough to hold the vacuum.

Also, I use 315 HHG on the bridges. Clamp for a few minutes, pull to cleanup, then clamp for another 15 minutes, and let it dry overnight. I actually did a test after 20 minutes of vacuum, and the

Well that didn't work, got truncated. I was asking what 315 HHG is, as I've never heard of it before and Google isn't helping. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post

Well that didn't work, got truncated. I was asking what 315 HHG is, as I've never heard of it before and Google isn't helping. Thanks.
    Gram strength of the glue. I use 192 clear for everything else.

As soon as I finish my current projects, I plan to return to the bridge vacuum clamp issue. I would be interested in seeing, or getting a description of, any shop made vacuum bridge clamps that you have that work. Enjoy your building. Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Guitars View Post
    As soon as I finish my current projects, I plan to return to the bridge vacuum clamp issue. I would be interested in seeing, or getting a description of, any shop made vacuum bridge clamps that you have that work. Enjoy your building. Thanks, Bob
    Bob, from 2:28 in the vid I posted, you can see the jig I made, super simple. Its a 3/4” plywood frame, with bladder material from LMI wrapped and stapled on the top, and a tire valve with cross slots cut into it with a hacksaw. There no “seal” per se, and the bladder itself sticks to the finish of the instrument. Honestly, I saw Joe Souza’s vacuum setup, and all of his bracing jigs work similarly, with the bladder sealing directly on the UHMW bases (he has vacuum plumbed in the from the bottom). My brace jig is similar to the bridge jig, with a tire valve through the bladder, just a lot bigger. Bladder against the base is the key - less places to leak/fail.

Hope this helps.

F5DFB671-7160-449E-93A6-26BAEA7773D4.jpg788750F9-F960-44E5-9492-48FF7EDA578E.jpg

Thread Information