FYI new Moore Bettah auction at HMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it amazing?

I don't think its amazing, I think its a good investment in a multi-dimensional piece of art. Art is being bought and sold at prices far in excess of this amount all the time. I know many UU members are limited in budget, I certainly am, so this piece of art is out of financial reach for most of us. But that does not mean you need to remain ignorant of what is happening on the planet, if you look beyond the mainstream media out into the world, you are going to find some things that are really amazing.

Um Bill, they could have simply been saying the Uke was amazing....

Um Bill, they could have simply been saying the Uke was amazing....

:agree: Some might think the uke is amazing and some might think it is really amazing while others think it is not amazing.

$22,000 final price.

Looks like it would have been fun to watch at the end, with a bidding war. I wasn't able to watch it, but looked at the bidding history.

I hope that whoever it the new owner will enjoy it, and play it daily.

Looks like it would have been fun to watch at the end, with a bidding war. I wasn't able to watch it, but looked at the bidding history.

Pass the popcorn please...

The auction has adopted a format where a new bid in the final two minutes resets the clock for another two minutes. At the official end time, the price was $17,150. There were three bidders that submitted 20 more bids over 13 minutes to get to the final price.

Pass the popcorn please...

The auction has adopted a format where a new bid in the final two minutes resets the clock for another two minutes. At the official end time, the price was $17,150. There were three bidders that submitted 20 more bids over 13 minutes to get to the final price.
There was real brinkmanship with some of the last bids going in with only seconds to spare.

That instrument is beautiful and sounds amazing. Prior to watching the video I didn't think I would be able to hear a huge difference between it and others that I have heard played by professional musicians (partly because I have only been playing a few months and partly because I am old enough that my hearing is not what it used to be). I was wrong. It sounds heavenly. Someone is very lucky to have "won" that auction!

kathy

I am amazed by Chuck Moore's skills at creating inlays to embellish his ukuleles. I am also continuously amazed at Chuck's beautiful uke designs that consistently sound wonderful. Like all artists, some of his art turns out better than others. Some speak to me more than others.

I appreciate all kinds of art. Whether it is painting, sculpture, weaving, scrimshaw, architecture, or performing arts in dance, music, theater, movies, opera, etc., I can appreciate the works that are produced. I don't much care for opera. But I can appreciate the music, singers and productions that comprise them. And yes, I can be amazed by the voices and the staging. While I appreciate these arts, I can also appreciate the world and be amazed by the beauty of nature. I can understand the hydraulics, the geology, the processes of erosion and fossilization that happened to create the Grand Canyon. I am awed by the beauty of the Canyon. It speaks to me in a different way that a painting might.

I am amazed at how immense the Universe is. The beauty of the galaxies, nebulae and unexpected wonders that exist in it. I thought that my first sight of Saturn through a huge observatory refractive telescope was absolutely amazing even though I had seen detailed photos and videos that showed far more of the planet's features.

I am amazed at the vast variety of humans in this world make it a richer and more intriguing place to live.

We can be amazed and enriched by all that the world, and people have to offer us. I try to be open to as much of it as I can be.

I am staggered at how cave art and petroglyphs can be so beautiful and admire the skills of the artists. But most of all, I am amazed at how the art can speak to me and be meaningful to me even though it was created 10,000 years ago. (Or more.)

Why is the price amazing?

There is no doubt that the instrument is a an amazing piece of art.

I don't think that the price is amazing, I think its a good investment in a multi-dimensional piece of art. Art is being bought and sold at prices far in excess of this amount all the time. I know many UU members are limited in budget, I certainly am, so this piece of art is out of financial reach for most of us. But that does not mean you need to remain ignorant of what is happening on the planet, if you look beyond the mainstream media out into the world, you are going to find some things that are really amazing.

Yes, I was commenting on the craftsmanship of the uke and Chuck's passion for creating such works of art. To be a luthier so sought after to command this value speaks highly of his skills and love for creating. I am also not able to play in this price range, BUT... if I ever hit the lottery you can bet I'd be in the final group of bidders. I currently have 30+ ukes and none are "entry level", and probably more than that that have come and gone through my hands. With this variety I have come to really appreciate the differences in voices, the beauty of the woods and artwork and the quality and ingenuity of the builds. I have also built 2 ukuleles in my luthier friends shop so I understand what goes into a build and how many variables the builder has at their disposal to create the voice and look. So when I said "Simply Amazing", I mean it in the most positive way. And owning one of Chucks creations is still on my "bucket list", but I love variety to much to cash in all my ukes to grab one :) But when I hit the lottery...

Why is the price amazing?

There is no doubt that the instrument is a an amazing piece of art.

I don't think that the price is amazing, I think its a good investment in a multi-dimensional piece of art. Art is being bought and sold at prices far in excess of this amount all the time. I know many UU members are limited in budget, I certainly am, so this piece of art is out of financial reach for most of us. But that does not mean you need to remain ignorant of what is happening on the planet, if you look beyond the mainstream media out into the world, you are going to find some things that are really amazing.

Thanks for the words you posted, i feel the same way but have a hard time explain my feelings...nice to read positive thoughts about Chuck's art in our ukulele world

Kenn2018,
I totally get where you're coming from. I too, have gazed through the heavens at the rings of Saturn.
I've seen an albino buck deer standing on a hilltop.
I've chased deer on horseback, through brush and bramble, they'd get away by clearing fences that we couldn't jump.
Nature is indeed incredible. All of it. Even the microbes fascinate me.
Chuck's art is indeed enviable, I could never afford one, but to those who can, i do hope they are played, as well as well protected from any harm. They are to be treasured, just like nature.

But that does not mean you need to remain ignorant of what is happening on the planet
Everyone is entitled to their point of view, but to call someone ignorant because they don't share yours in not cool, and is antithetical to the desired tone of this forum and this ukulele community.

Everyone is entitled to their point of view, but to call someone ignorant because they don't share yours in not cool, and is antithetical to the desired tone of this forum and this ukulele community.

I'm pretty sure Bill meant no harm....he's a pretty straightup dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom