Soprano case - wooden hardshell v sturdy alternative

CalBrit

Reaction score
From Shepperton UK. Mission Viejo, CA since 2000
Apologies if this subject has been discussed many times but if it has please post any relevant links.

I need some advice on cases. I leave my ukuleles on stands but I'm getting a custom built soprano that I want to keep handy but in a case. Its unlikely that it will travel much but I just want very good protection.

Is the traditional wooden hardshell case now obsolete? Which are currently the best brands for this type and also the best alternatives around? I'm not talking padded gig bag as I have one of them.

Thanks for any responses.

A hard case is essential for high end ukuleles. My favourite is the 'Gator' but there are several that will do the job well. Whatever you get, be sure to check the depth of the case. There should be no (or only minimal) pressure on the saddle/bridge when the case is latched. Some of my sopranos have deeper bodies and I have to be careful which of my cases to use.

John Colter

I think ABS cases are best. Gator ones are really good, but there is another one that seems to have a different label. The one I bought last year was branded Chase but I bought an identical one branded Crossrock a couple of years ago.

If you want to save a bit of money I reckon the foam cases are equally good protection but the zips tend to break and they start to look scruffy. Still if you aren't leaving the house they are perfectly adequate.

Oh, and a word of warning - I bought the very cheapest case I could find on eBay. It's made of cardboard covered in a plastic tweed. I am not happy with it. Better to spend a little more.

Wood cases are heavy. A good ABS or fiberglass case can be just as protective, but lighter weight. I like the cases from Gator and Crossrock. Kala-brand hard cases are very good, too, and I've seen the Kala ABS soprano case on sale recently.

If you get it built from a reputable luthier they should be able to provide a case with perfect fit that should already be included with the build. If he does not include or offer a case for purchase then at least he should be knowledgeable about what cases would fit his build well. If he's not able to do that maybe cancel the build and find someone else.

As others have said, yes, you really need a decent hard shell case if for no other reason than to maintain humidity. Gators, TKL, Kala, Gaurdian all make good cases. I have a Kala case for one of my sopranos, a Gaurdian for another, and a Gator Journeyman for another. One thing I will say is I would personally not get the Journeyman again. It is in many respects my favorite case but the tweed does not hold the humidity in as well as vinyl covered or ABS cases. I find I need to put more humidifiers in it compared to my other cases to keep the level at 40% or higher in the middle of winter and have also observed that humidipaks don’t last as long in it. Great case in every other respect, and it still does hold in humidity pretty well, just not as well as a vinyl covered case. Personally, if I were buying again I would get the regular vinyl covered Gator.

Last edited:
A hard case is essential for high end ukuleles. My favourite is the 'Gator' but there are several that will do the job well. Whatever you get, be sure to check the depth of the case. There should be no (or only minimal) pressure on the saddle/bridge when the case is latched. Some of my sopranos have deeper bodies and I have to be careful which of my cases to use.

John Colter

Yes, I have had good experience with the Gator cases. They are nicely made and not too expensive. I did have a Journeyman as mentioned above, but I had no issues with mine.

Just chiming in on all the good and sound advice above (and repeating some of it, sorry):
- yes, there are still cases with a wooden core (Ameritage comes to mind, NRP uses them). I don't think Gators have a wooden core, they're rather made of a very heavy ABS with metal rims, but I could be wrong about that. Flight cases are made of wooden multiply.
- three drawbacks of wooden core cases are bulkiness, weight and price; but when it comes to protection against serious abuse, I think nothing can beat them. Pun intended.
- glassfiber is stronger than ABS, ABS is stronger than PVC; but they all have some flex in them.
- cases are better than bags - most damage comes from knocks, kicks and slight falls rather than really heavy pressure, and bags don't really protect much against those incidents.
- as John mentioned, a good fit is everything; an expensive, heavy duty flightcase is no use at all when your instrument is either rattling about inside, or squeezed in under pressure.

I'm still trying to find the "right" case for some of my sopranos without having to purchase an Ameritage, or Martin injection mold case.

All ears here.

The Gator cases I have are wood

For dust protection, use anything. For real protection, use a hard case. You don't have to spend $200 on a case. Many of mine cost under $50. I want something to protect it from bumps and short drops. If you plan to do a lot of traveling, you might want something sturdier. You can also modify a case for more internal protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRfFB3Pz3o

If you are not in a rush and do not care about colour, the Crossrock ABS and Fibreglass cases have huge price swings on Amazon. Stick one in your cart or set up a watch on camelcamelcamel.com and wait for the drop. I bought a few of these for less than half the typical price.

It would not surprise me if the same were true for other brands, but I have not tracked them.

For a custom uke and no travel plans a cabinet or windowed display case may be a good alternative.

If you are a member of Monty Python you can have Adam Savage build you a case. If not, Adam shows how to make your own. If you are a non-traditionalist, a custom case may be the best option for a weirdly sized or shaped instrument.

Top Bottom