Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soprano case - wooden hardshell v sturdy alternative

Default Soprano case - wooden hardshell v sturdy alternative

Apologies if this subject has been discussed many times but if it has please post any relevant links.

I need some advice on cases. I leave my ukuleles on stands but I'm getting a custom built soprano that I want to keep handy but in a case. Its unlikely that it will travel much but I just want very good protection.

Is the traditional wooden hardshell case now obsolete? Which are currently the best brands for this type and also the best alternatives around? I'm not talking padded gig bag as I have one of them.

Thanks for any responses.

A hard case is essential for high end ukuleles. My favourite is the 'Gator' but there are several that will do the job well. Whatever you get, be sure to check the depth of the case. There should be no (or only minimal) pressure on the saddle/bridge when the case is latched. Some of my sopranos have deeper bodies and I have to be careful which of my cases to use.

John Colter

I’ve got a suede Oahu case that’s lovely and protective.

I think ABS cases are best. Gator ones are really good, but there is another one that seems to have a different label. The one I bought last year was branded Chase but I bought an identical one branded Crossrock a couple of years ago.

If you want to save a bit of money I reckon the foam cases are equally good protection but the zips tend to break and they start to look scruffy. Still if you aren't leaving the house they are perfectly adequate.

Oh, and a word of warning - I bought the very cheapest case I could find on eBay. It's made of cardboard covered in a plastic tweed. I am not happy with it. Better to spend a little more.

Wood cases are heavy. A good ABS or fiberglass case can be just as protective, but lighter weight. I like the cases from Gator and Crossrock. Kala-brand hard cases are very good, too, and I've seen the Kala ABS soprano case on sale recently.

The Guardian archtop soprano cases, with cushy green interior, are real nice too.
    Guardian CG-044-US Vintage Hardshell Case Soprano Ukulele Case Black https://reverb.com/item/18730039-gua...ntent=18730039
    John

If you get it built from a reputable luthier they should be able to provide a case with perfect fit that should already be included with the build. If he does not include or offer a case for purchase then at least he should be knowledgeable about what cases would fit his build well. If he's not able to do that maybe cancel the build and find someone else.

Thank you all for your responses. They are really useful.

As others have said, yes, you really need a decent hard shell case if for no other reason than to maintain humidity. Gators, TKL, Kala, Gaurdian all make good cases. I have a Kala case for one of my sopranos, a Gaurdian for another, and a Gator Journeyman for another. One thing I will say is I would personally not get the Journeyman again. It is in many respects my favorite case but the tweed does not hold the humidity in as well as vinyl covered or ABS cases. I find I need to put more humidifiers in it compared to my other cases to keep the level at 40% or higher in the middle of winter and have also observed that humidipaks don’t last as long in it. Great case in every other respect, and it still does hold in humidity pretty well, just not as well as a vinyl covered case. Personally, if I were buying again I would get the regular vinyl covered Gator.
    Last edited by CPG; 06-12-2021 at 02:30 AM.
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    A hard case is essential for high end ukuleles. My favourite is the 'Gator' but there are several that will do the job well. Whatever you get, be sure to check the depth of the case. There should be no (or only minimal) pressure on the saddle/bridge when the case is latched. Some of my sopranos have deeper bodies and I have to be careful which of my cases to use.

John Colter
    Yes, I have had good experience with the Gator cases. They are nicely made and not too expensive. I did have a Journeyman as mentioned above, but I had no issues with mine.

Thread Information