Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brett McQueen and the Blues

Default Brett McQueen and the Blues

Brett McQueen is offering a course in the Blues. I'm tempted, but the price is $97, and I know in advance that I wouldn't become a blues player after paying. I would probably have to watch the videos and practice. Ugh!

I have the best intentions with these courses, but becoming an expert player has eluded me.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Practice, you talkin' about practice? I'm a 76ers fan.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014 Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings 6/21/2016 Martin S1 Soprano C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018 aNueNue AMM3 Tenor C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Ah heck! If'n ya can strum four chords, ya can play the blues.

Kidding, but an element of truth to it. I love the simplicity of blues, its more about emotive quality than musical quality. Probably my favorite modern blues tune is Steve Earle's, "My Old Friend the Blues." When I play that, I'm right there in a cheap motel room with an almost empty bottle. And, if you're a depressive type like me, it feels like home. Thank God that when the song is over, I snap back to real life.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Here is his free 4 part series that was an intro to the full course:
    https://ukuleletricks.com/blues-tricks-video-series/

I ran through the free 4-part series. I thought it was helpful. I'm kind of useless when it comes to keys and scales and it seemed like it would be a good course to teach me that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Here is his free 4 part series that was an intro to the full course:
    https://ukuleletricks.com/blues-tricks-video-series/
    That's what tempted me to take his course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Brett McQueen is offering a course in the Blues. I'm tempted, but the price is $97, and I know in advance that I wouldn't become a blues player after paying. I would probably have to watch the videos and practice. Ugh!

I have the best intentions with these courses, but becoming an expert player has eluded me.
    This says it all. Practice, ugh!

Some time ago I purchased a bundle of lessons (100+ individual lessons in 5 categories) for less than half of what you're pondering on spending for the blues course. I think I got about 25% through and lost interest. I won't say that I won't pick them up again somewhere down the road but I find practice to be such a drag. If the decision is to just have fun and play or to try and figure something new out and practice, just playing wins out almost every time!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    This says it all. Practice, ugh!

Some time ago I purchased a bundle of lessons (100+ individual lessons in 5 categories) for less than half of what you're pondering on spending for the blues course. I think I got about 25% through and lost interest. I won't say that I won't pick them up again somewhere down the road but I find practice to be such a drag. If the decision is to just have fun and play or to try and figure something new out and practice, just playing wins out almost every time!
    I paid for quite a few courses, and I have lots of instructional video on my computer. Maybe I'll play today.

I, on the other hand, love to practice. And nothing is better to practice than the blues. It is the cornerstone of western music and it is simple enough so that you can easily see the music theory. I never actually play the blues because for me it is a bit hackneyed and something that is froze in a particular historical era. However, everything I do is based in the blues. So a blues course or something like a ten-day blues challenge is a good investment of your time and money, as long as you can branch out on your own and harness the information.

Wanting to put some structure in my practicing, I decided to go ahead and take his course. I like is teaching style and I like his book. So, here I go. 15 minutes a day...

Thanks for posting the link to his preview Joyful Uke. Jerry's info and the videos were intriguing enough to persuade me to try it.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information