Pepe romero and la bella baby baritone strings:

JJFN

Reaction score
I installed the above strings on my Pono Cedar topped, mahogany back and sides tenor. The sustain is really remarkable, I don't know if it's the tuning (DGBE), the strings themselves or the woods in the instrument, but as I said the sustain is amazing. This is my first experience with Romero/LaBella strings and I am impressed. I may try this mfrs. strings on another instrument. Has anyone else out there tried these Baby Baritone strings? if so, what do you think.

I installed these on my Flight Diana Cedar topped tenor on Friday and I am still getting them to settle in tuning wise. This ukulele had wonderful sustain as a tenor, so I am hoping it performs the same as a Baritone. I think the Cedar really helps when it comes to sustain. I will let you know how I like them once they are stable.

I noticed a drastic increase in sustain and resonance when I used GHS bari-tenor strings tuned like a baritone. I think it’s just the beefy size and low notes.

I just tried the Pepe Romero UG1 fluorocarbon strings on my Pono guilele and love them. They are brighter with much better tone and sustain. I'm sold.

I really like them. But I like Guadalupe Strings version of the Baby Baritone more. I did a comparison vid about a year ago of the two.

Since I made the video, I will say the "squeak" of the Guads isn't near as noticeable. It just took me some time to adjust to them. IMHO, the Guads allow the full beauty of the instrument to be heard. I've tried a variety of strings on my Master Series Pono tenor (it too is a cedar top btw) and nothing compares to these strings on that instrument.

I'm kinda a bari nut. I own several. But being able to get the bari sound out of an instrument with only the stretch of a tenor neck is so comfortable. I can play this guy all day. What's not to love?

I would like to try these, but I tune CGBE. My tenors are setup as re-entry (cGBE) because I could never find a low C that worked.

If you detune the Pepe Romero D to C, does it get floppy there?

To test, detune D to C then play an open Cmaj chord (CGCE) 0010. You'll know right away.

I really like them. But I like Guadalupe Strings version of the Baby Baritone more. I did a comparison vid about a year ago of the two.

Since I made the video, I will say the "squeak" of the Guads isn't near as noticeable. It just took me some time to adjust to them. IMHO, the Guads allow the full beauty of the instrument to be heard. I've tried a variety of strings on my Master Series Pono tenor (it too is a cedar top btw) and nothing compares to these strings on that instrument.

I'm kinda a bari nut. I own several. But being able to get the bari sound out of an instrument with only the stretch of a tenor neck is so comfortable. I can play this guy all day. What's not to love?

Beautiful playing. And I could not believe that was a tenor.

I tried these strings on a Pono mahogany and thought they had a wonderful sound. I didn't keep them on very long because I'm not a fan of most wound strings and this set has two quite squeaky ones. I also have a baritone so I went back to letting the Pono be a tenor.

Wow. Amazing sustain. One of the best I have ever heard.

Last edited:
I would like to try these, but I tune CGBE. My tenors are setup as re-entry (cGBE) because I could never find a low C that worked.

If you detune the Pepe Romero D to C, does it get floppy there?

To test, detune D to C then play an open Cmaj chord (CGCE) 0010. You'll know right away.
I am curios to know about these baby baritone string tension too. I am looking for ess tension than standard gcea flourocarbons.

Hmm its been awhile since I had the Pepe version on my uke. I don't remember them being much different from his regular fluorocarbons. Perhaps others could speak regarding Pepe's. The Guadalupe strings seem to have less tension. That maybe one reason I found them comfortable to play. However, as noted from other posters, the squeak you have to get use to and or learn to minimize. After playing with them on for several months I its not near as bad. The gain in overtones far outweighs the squeak, imho. The good news is you're not talking about spending a lot of money to experiment for yourself. That's what I did . . . I bought a set of both and tried em. I also experimented with both on several different tenors. My cedar took to them much better than my spruce and koa. Just know they may not be everyones cup of tea. I consider myself a string hound and am not fearful of trying all kinds of arrangements. Its part of the adventure of playing.

I've not tried "Baby Baritone" strings. Are they a new design? However, I really like the Pepe Romero Strings Guilele Set (UG1) on my Baritone 6. I keep it tuned like a terz guitar, G C F Bb D G.
Do you think the UG1 is the same as the classical vivace strings sets? I am using the 2001 on my B6 and I quite like them.

I don't think so—Pepe claims they're customized to his specs. The UG1 spec at:

1 = .021" | 2 = .026" | 3 = .0315" | 4 = .0275" | 5 = .034" | 6 = .042"

So a lot lighter in gauge than most classical sets.

I don't think so—Pepe claims they're customized to his specs. The UG1 spec at:

1 = .021" | 2 = .026" | 3 = .0315" | 4 = .0275" | 5 = .034" | 6 = .042"

So a lot lighter in gauge than most classical sets.
Thanks for the gauge measurements. Yes they look different from the classical ones. I just got a set of Hannabach Ukulele Goldin Super carbon 243 MHT. The gauges are quite close. 1 = 0.022, 2 = 0.026, 3 = 0.032, 4 = 0.024(high G). The strings are 700mm Long according to the packaging so the trebles will fit the B6. I have the UT2 but the packaging doesn’t specify the gauges And I haven’t got anything to measure them. Will be interesting to hear how different they sound

Last edited:
I've not tried "Baby Baritone" strings. Are they a new design? However, I really like the Pepe Romero Strings Guilele Set (UG1) on my Baritone 6. I keep it tuned like a terz guitar, G C F Bb D G.
Interesting Peter. I just tuned my Kala Koa3 down to the F Bb D G tuning and like the sound of the lower tone very much.
The baby baritone strings by Pepe sound pretty good to me. Very happy with them on my koa tenor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom