Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koaloha ktm-00 or anuenue moonbird

Default Koaloha ktm-00 or anuenue moonbird

aloha guys, I hesitate between a ktm-00 and a moonbird, I have listened to all the existing videos and I still cannot make a choice which I leave to you !! I currently have an opio concert and now I want a tenor, thank you for enlightening me on my choice, I can not try them because in Canada we have nothing except martins in the high end thx and have a good day !!!

Totally different beasts
    Moonbird is loud with a chubby bottom and a radius fretboard and superb aesthetics
    KoAloha is warm slightly bright non-radius fretboard and not as loud
    I have owned several of each.
    It depends what you’re looking for in ukulele.
    Ron

Don't leave the choice to us...we'll tell you to get both!

Koaloha are great ukes and if you travel to Hawaii, which I hope will soon be possible again for us Canadians, you can visit the factory and talk to the people who build them. They have lifetime warranty. If you already have Opio you will enjoy the step up for sure.

yes I love my opio but I tell myself that the sound of an opio is comparable to that in koa? I read a lot that the moonbird is well built and that its sound is sublime, at the same time the koaloha is a value on .. I can not be more undecided

I have a KoAloha KTM-00. It's a beautiful instrument which seems to prefer picking over strumming. I have an ANueNue AMM3, which is half the price of the KoAloha. I LOVE my AMM3, and I think it sounds just as good as the KoAloha. At least in my hands, lol. If it were me, I'd go for the Moonbird only because that is next on my want list, and I will get one. Or better yet, save the money that the Moonbird costs and get the KTM-00 and the AMM3.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Ukemaxx View Post
    yes I love my opio but I tell myself that the sound of an opio is comparable to that in koa? I read a lot that the moonbird is well built and that its sound is sublime, at the same time the koaloha is a value on .. I can not be more undecided
    No it's not that easy. Opio are nice for sure, but KoAloha are in a different class and it is noticeable both in feel and sound if you play them side by side in their showroom. Then you also want to upgrade in size and I like Kanile'a and Kamaka tenors better for the Hawaiian brands, whereas KoAloha rules for concert size. But this is totally subjective and my bias is from visiting all their factories though I was most often at KoAloha, and comparing all sorts of ukes in Hawaiian uke stores. It is unfortunate that your local store does not have good selection. I am also fortunate to have a Kamaka dealer in Regina who is also a luthier. Videos and opinions of others are certainly no substitute for trying them out yourself.

So sad in quebec city we only have martin in high end uke..
    I like koaloha but less kamaka and kanilea, I don't know why ... but I really consider the moonbird, he look like more balanced!
    Last edited by Ukemaxx; 06-09-2021 at 03:19 PM.

You need to ask yourself what kind of sound you prefer. The KoAloha will have that typical Hawaiian vibe with the mellowness of that large koa body and the punchiness of a KoAloha. The Moon Bird on the other hand has a really powerful and clear tone with that spruce top but also a very distinctive low-end resonance and shimmer with the rosewood back and sides. Both have a very balanced tone with highs, mids and lows but in a very different way. The KoAloha is definitely more traditional and maybe a bit restrained compared to the Moon Bird which is very modern and completely in your face in terms of the tone. Not saying that the KoAloha is muted or a slouch in any way but I'm only describing it so since we're comparing it to the Moon Bird which is an absolute cannon.

As many have alluded to, you can't really go wrong with either. I would personally go with the Moon Bird because you already have an Opio and the Moon Bird offers something noticeably different. Of course, if you really like the sound of the Opio and want more of the same but better then the KoAloha might suit you better.

Let me just add that I think the Moon Birds are simply the best value for money at that high-end uke market, and that's saying a lot for a uke costing over a grand. That's just my opinion, but I think most other brands would charge a lot more for that kind of sound, build quality and wood combination.

Moonbird for value, KoAloha for prestige.

Thread Information