Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koaloha ktm-00 or anuenue moonbird

Sounds like you've gotten great advice so far from a playing and quality stand point. My gut feeling is that the Moonbird will be nicer to play and is on par with the KoAloha.

The sticking point for most people beyond what's already been addressed is: made in Hawaii or made in China.

Its unfortunate but I think it has an impact on resale and as LukuleleStrings mentioned, "prestige".

I'd say if you are buying solely off of playability, quality, and sound go with the Moonbird for better value. If you are buying to possibly resale down the road and want a "Hawaiian Made" (AKA Prestigious) ukulele then its KoAloha.

Moonbirds are nice, but KoAloha Tenors are hard to beat when it comes to the best-sounding ukes!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Great choices in ukes. I had both (but i got the cedar moonbird) at the same time. If I could only choose one, I would get the moonbird. The KTM is a great uke and sounds great. The newer KTM have a very balanced and focused sound, very resonant, great volume, and their gloss looks really good. But the moonbird has more frills (ebony head plate, maple rosette, satin neck, and radius fretboard) and louder. The sound of the moonbird is super unique. It projects a lot and has a big woody sound with great tone. I think the Koaloha has slightly more narrow string spacing and the radius fretboard on the moonbird makes it slightly easier to do bar chords.

I got both around the same time and I play the moonbird much more. I think the moonbird playability is slightly easier with the radius fretboard and I prefer the string spacing for fingerpicking. But the sound is what pulls me most. The sound is so full with some great bottom end.

Just my 2 cents. Don't think you would regret either.
    Last edited by deznuchs; 06-10-2021 at 07:42 AM.

The specs at the nut are probably different on those 2 ukes, if that matters to you. Despite their wide 38mm nut, the Koaloha string spread at the nut is only about 27mm, with lots of room at the edges. Due to their design, with frets installed inside the edge binding, not going all the way to the edge of the fretboard, I don't think it is possible to install a different nut, with wider string spacing. Many are fine with the Koaloha specs, and but others prefer wider string spacing of 29-30mm at the nut. Not sure of the nut/spread specs on the Moonbird, anyone know?

KTM-00.JPGKTM-00 head.JPG
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 06-10-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    John

One other consideration for a few, is that the body of the aNueNue is larger. It is a little wider on the upper and lower bouts and about a 1/2 inch deeper.

thank you all for your comments, I have a difficult choice to make, I like the sound of both, but aesthetically I like the moonbird better. what I remember is that the moonbird looks very well designed! Would it be true to say that the moonbird sounds more like a small guitar than a traditional uke?

Late to the party but I'll be the one to say you want both. I've had a KTM and a Moonbird in concert size. The tone and feel of each instrument is different enough such that having both side by side is perfectly complimentary within a two or more uke collection. For that reason, I agree that if you're going to keep the Opio, then get the moonbird first because then you will have two instruments that will serve slightly different purposes. If you like the Opio, ideally want just a little more out of it and plan on having just one uke, then go for the KTM. Either way, both are great choices here.
    Last edited by eternal tinkerer; 06-10-2021 at 06:02 PM.

I have both. Though my KTM-00 is a 2017 with the older bracing. They are both very good tenors. I have LivingWaters strings on both.

The Ko'Aloha is a bit boomy (though the new version is more balanced) but by no means muddy. It has a warm koa sound. I think you can push it pretty hard. I think it's more comfortable to play because the edges of the body are rounded, and don't dig into my arm. The Ko'Aloha finish is a thin gloss.
    The aNueNue is a bit crisper and perhaps clearer. But to me it can sound a bit boxy. Sustain that goes forever. More guitar-ish a sound. The radius fretboard is nice. The aNueNue has a high-gloss super smooth finish.
    They are both easy to play. With very comfortable necks.
    Both are big favorites amongst the tenor players in the Forum. You really can't go wrong with either.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

as it was said, i think i will go for the moonbird since i have an opio !! I will keep my opio concert which I love and I will take the tenor moonbird !! thank you for your answers which have helped me in my choice !!

last question, does the moonbird shine more in high g or low g?

Thread Information