Pohaku Concert 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

richntacoma

Reaction score
For sale, a Concert 10 Pohaku, made in the fall of 2020.

I am reluctantly letting this stunner go for two reasons. First, I just seem to be someone who does not enjoy going between Concert and Soprano. Maybe I should try more, but, I really don't enjoy making that transition each time I play. I have been focusing on that a great deal lately, but alas, it is not for me. The second reason, I think the maple neck is a bit hard for me, as a preference--and it was my request). I want anyone who is contemplating buying it and who has not played on a hard wood neck to consider that--it might not be a issue for many people, but I am about win/win happy sales and trades. It is a very fast neck, it just feels a bit hard. This is a great uke, so I want whoever buys it to be happy!

As you can see, this is a marvelous looking uke, and it sounds great too. Bearclaw Sitka Spruce top and some of the prettiest maple on the back and sides that you will ever see. Gotoh UPTs. The finish is lacquer--I am a hard strummer and Peter recently redid the finish for me. Given that he sanded it down and refinished it, the finish is only 98 percent perfect--there are a couple of "sparkles" in the right light. It is really, very, very slight and super hard to see. This special uke is in mint condition besides. I had the action set up by excellent local luthier Steve Mueller https://www.peninsulaviolin.com/ after the uke settled into its new Pacific Northwest environment. I think I am starting to hear it open up. If this was a soprano, I would never consider selling it.

As you can see, there are amazing dog bone fret markers and a really nice dog bone inlay in the headstock. This personal touch makes it hard to sell, but I plan on having Peter do another one for me at some point, in soprano.

If you have not seen his concert 10s, it is a small body concert that has some great bass to it. Really lovely instrument all around.

I paid $900 for this special uke, and $50 more for the professional set up to lower the action. The action is nice and low with no buzzing. I would like to get $610 including shipping COUS (Pay pal F and F or you pay the difference)

Please email instead of PM--they are a mess on this site. Richfurmanphd@gmail.com

Attachments

• Crossed Dogbones Revised Web 04.jpg
    Crossed Dogbones Revised Web 04.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Crossed Dogbones Revised Outline Web 01.jpg
    Crossed Dogbones Revised Outline Web 01.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Pohaku Ten New Top.jpg
    Pohaku Ten New Top.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 288
  • Pohaku Maple Back.jpg
    Pohaku Maple Back.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Pokaku ten new top two.jpg
    Pokaku ten new top two.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I am in Mexico until July 6, so can't ship until after that, but time for a bump!

Amazing deal. Peter Hurney has a great reputation and his instruments are always works of art. I am surprised nobody has jumped for this one yet.

(Luckily I stick with sopranos so I can resist the temptation! :D)

Good luck with the sale

Amazing deal. Peter Hurney has a great reputation and his instruments are always works of art
All true, and I'll add that they sound beautiful as well!
This is a terrific price for one of Peter's one-of-a-kind concerts. No doubt it plays and sounds as great as it looks.

Last edited:
Amazing deal. Peter Hurney has a great reputation and his instruments are always works of art. I am surprised nobody has jumped for this one yet.

(Luckily I stick with sopranos so I can resist the temptation! :D)

Good luck with the sale

Thanks a ton. I am surprised as well. Glad you can resist--and if this was a soprano, I would never sell it. I have two Donaldson's on order, and once my uke fund grows a bit more again (side hacks one off funds) I am thinking of getting Peter to do a soprano again--also with dog bones (but perhaps with fir or some other interesting wood).

Cheers.

Rich, I am interested in trading. I have a lot of wonderful vintage sopranos. What are you interested in?

Rich, I am interested in trading. I have a lot of wonderful vintage sopranos. What are you interested in?

Hmmm...With vintage, one of the keys for me would be playability and being in good "working" condition. In other words, no neck issues, good frets, low action (that is pretty key to me). I have a 1920 Weymann that was done up right by Jack Wildwood, for example. I send to prefer Hog' but open to Koa. Comperable value and fairness is good ;). Email me at richfurmanphd@gmail.com

Okay. I’ve hesitated to post here cause I know you all are sick of me ranting and raving about how much I love my Pohaku, BUT SERIOUSLY, someone buy this thing. Peter Hurney makes incredible instruments and this is a fantastic price!

What strings do you have on this?

Sadly, I do not know! I believe I had Martin 600s put on this one, but I am unsure! I have settled into a couple of low tension strings, but those are not the one's on this. I would guess that it only has about 3 hours of playing on these strings.

Okay. I’ve hesitated to post here cause I know you all are sick of me ranting and raving about how much I love my Pohaku, BUT SERIOUSLY, someone buy this thing. Peter Hurney makes incredible instruments and this is a fantastic price!

Thanks for that. And yeah, I think the price is more than fair. I love looking at it and the way it sounds, but just hate going back and forth between neck scales. I will get Peter to make me a soprano at some point--with dog bones! A concert player who also digs sopranos is going to go nuts over this when it is in their hands.

I love looking at it and the way it sounds, but just hate going back and forth between neck scales.

That's one of the reasons I only play soprano. I sometimes think about getting another concert or tenor, but every time I have one I end up not playing it much because I favor my sopranos. I still get a grin on my face every time I take my Pohaku out of it's case. It never fails to bring me joy.

GLWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom