Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone in 5 th query

Default Baritone in 5 th query

Ive been playing a clearwater baritone (5 ths)for years now and its seen better days , numerous repairs , so im looking to upgrade . So i had the ohana bk 70 R in mind . However i just read a comment that put this in doubt .
    The comment was in relation to a kahana spruce baritone not working with fifths tuning. So my question really is why might this be ? I dont want to spend 350 to find that the uke doesnt respond well to 5 th tuning eaDG

Why might the clearwater work so well but not tha kahana ? I presume its physics , can any one explain or reasure me as the Ohana is an online purchase . Thanks

Eadg is fourth tuning. Fifths would be CGDA.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Worst case scenario is that you have a wolf-tone wherein the resonance of the sound board is interfering with the resonance of one of the open strings. If that's the case, all you have to do is alter the tuning slightly from eaDG to d#g#C#F#.

No its fifths: eaDG or GDae depending in which way you look at it, but the convention is small letters are higher notes.
    CGda is also fifths but like a viola( or one octave below viola. )Where as my tuning is one octave below violin, like tenor banjo, I play Irish music.
    This specific tuning is essential so i couldnt flatten it a semi tone.
    Cheers

It's all in the strings so I'm not sure why it "wouldn't work" unless it was an oddity with a particular instrument like ripock suggested.

If you're getting the Ohana as an online purchase, and you have the option of using Mim's Ukes, do that. You could have her do the setup with the strings you want and check for any badness before it even gets sent to you.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, LW dGBEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, E cuatro TI/Oasis

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Willthefifth View Post
    No its fifths: eaDG or GDae depending in which way you look at it, but the convention is small letters are higher notes.
    CGda is also fifths but like a viola( or one octave below viola. )Where as my tuning is one octave below violin, like tenor banjo, I play Irish music.
    This specific tuning is essential so i couldnt flatten it a semi tone.
    Cheers
    Thanks now you are making my head spin as I was going low to high and didn't even realize that the other way round it was fifths. That is my learning for today.

Will-

I am curious about what string gages you are using on a baritone ukulele to attain GDAE one octave below a violin, as I tune my sopranos GDAE the same pitch as a violin.

I could never get a low G to be anything but flabby on my 20-inch scale baritones.

-Wiggy

<Update #1>

GDAE on a baritone:

The normal DGBE high E is 1 octave below violin high E. A 5th below that is A which could be a baritone G string tuned up one step to A (or use a slightly thinner gage - no problem.) A 5th below the A would be D, so just use a normal baritone D for that.

All doable; however:

The 5th low G (103.8hz) is the same pitch as a normal guitar low E played at the 3rd fret. This is a very heavy string, and on a 20" scale would need to be even heavier. I've sacrificed more than 1 baritone nut/bridge trying to get a G string large enough to be playable. Thus, my dilemma. (Note: I have never heard or played a 6-string baritone.)

...removed superfluous comments.

Yes, there are tenor guitars, but their fret spacing is very difficult to form 5th (think mandolin) chords.

-W

<Update #2>

Found this: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...do-GDAE-tuning

Much of its discussion is just like this thread. I'm about 2 days away from ordering another baritone. I am determined to make it work this time.

-Wiggy
    Last edited by Wiggy; 06-12-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Classical guitar set gives GCFBbDG on 6 string baritone so if you used the 6th, 5th, 3rd, and 2nd that should give you GDAE starting at G2
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, LW dGBEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, E cuatro TI/Oasis

!Flukutronic!

Yes up till now thats what ive done but its not ideal so im in the process of making up a set from singles . Ill get back to you when i have it sorted . The A string is too tight in th D role and so is the b on the e role . Watch this space

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    Will-

I am curious about what string gages you are using on a baritone ukulele to attain GDAE one octave below a violin, as I tune my sopranos GDAE the same pitch as a violin.

I could never get a low G to be anything but flabby on my 20-inch scale baritones.

-Wiggy

<update>

GDAE on a baritone:

The normal DGBE high E is 1 octave below violin high E. A 5th below that is A which could be a baritone G string tuned up one step to A (or use a slightly thinner gage - no problem.) A 5th below the A would be D, so just use a normal baritone D for that.

All doable; however:

The 5th low G (103.8hz) is the same pitch as a normal guitar low E played at the 3rd fret. This is a very heavy string, and on a 20" scale would need to be even heavier. I've sacrificed more than 1 baritone nut/bridge trying to get a G string large enough to be playable. Thus, my dilemma. (Note: I have never heard or played a 6-string baritone.)

I wish that I would have tried re-entry gDAE... but the "sacrificees" are now gone.

If they can make 6-string baritones that are tuned like a guitar, why can't someone build a 4-string specifically for GDAE? Yes, I will be watching this space

Yes, there are tenor guitars, but theie fret spacing is very difficult to form 5th (think mandolin) chords.

-W

Yes the bridge came off at one point but i just superglued it back on, after many years with extra heavy strings the body has swollen a little . Still playable .

I was useing heavy guage savarez with the b tuned up to e . .033 compared with a aquila bari top e of .027! Roughly .
    Ill try .029/30/31
    I also tune my GD to AEae sometmes so looking for strings that will do this . Still working on the list .
    The savarez E is .043 so im buying .038/9/40 to try . The A savarez is .035 so im getting .029/30/31 from the top of my head .

Thread Information