NEW VIDEO - StewMac Deluxe Fret Tang Nippers

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
THese are excellent.
They come with 2 inserts designed for 4 fret wire widths anything from 0.053"-.0110" . :)

Great improvement!

Oh, no, another new tool I have to buy! I gave up using the old one, as it was pretty useless. Recently, since I'm 83 years old and my children are financially secure, I decided to splash out and buy a few tools that I would normally consider to be too expensive, such as Stewmac's nut and saddle sanding tool, plunge router and more recently, their Ultimate scraper and mini grinder, which is small enough to keep on my workbench.

Bob

Beau, how are they nipping the Stewmac narrow fretwires....0147 and 0764? The older ones deformed the fretwire too much, so I'm wondering it the new one works better.

hahah- you only have to buy them if you do bound fretboards.

Not really, I cut the tang back on all my frets, then, once seated, I fill the gap with a mixture of wood dust and Titebond glue, because I don't like the end of the fret showing on the side of the fretboard. It's an old method that I learned long ago!

Bob

Bummer!

I tried to order one, but they are not available yet! You probably got one for review purposes. I put my name down to be notified when they become available to the general public.

Bob

Hidden tang

Here's an example of how the gap created by nipping off the end of the tang is filled in with wood filings and glue. A little extra step in the building process, but I think that it's worth while!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 26
Here's an example of how the gap created by nipping off the end of the tang is filled in with wood filings and glue. A little extra step in the building process, but I think that it's worth while!

Bob

Back in Australia at Gilet guitars, we use to use blackened 5 min for exposed fret ends.
Blob some each fret end on one side of a freetabord, then put a strip on masking tape over it all to stop it blobing out. works way better then wood dust/titebond.

Top Bottom