Help! My brand spankin' new amm3 G string is reluctant to tune...

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just got it.... That's okay...comparing my little electronic tuner to online "tuner ninja" I'm tuning and yeah, so far all is okay but- the G string.

G is super tight at D4, sitting around 296hz...scared to go any farther so I'm letting it stretch....

OTOH, shes a right looker and feels spectacular...can't wait to play it!

Last edited:
Like a lot of people, I find that tenor ukuleles are tuned too high at gCEA and have way too much string tension at that tuning.
I play Tenor ukuleles at either EAC#F# or FA#DG.

Just got it and completely not tuned. That's okay...comparing my little electronic tuner to online "tuner ninja" I'm tuning and yeah, so far all is okay but- the G string.

G is super tight at D4, sitting around 296hz...scared to go any farther so I'm letting it stretch....

I sorta expected it to be tuned pretty much...600 dead presidents worth...anyway...

So you got a high G on there? This uke sounds superb in low g, very rich and resonant. I have no issues with overly tight tensioned strings on mine.

Sounds like you have a low G string which should be tuned to G3. I have tried to tune a string an octave too high more than once :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have a low G string which should be tuned to G3. I have tried to tune a string an octave too high more than once :rolleyes:

That makes sense. HMS does send these ukes out with low g. Which would be 196hz.

Just got it and completely not tuned. That's okay...comparing my little electronic tuner to online "tuner ninja" I'm tuning and yeah, so far all is okay but- the G string.

I sorta expected it to be tuned pretty much...600 dead presidents worth...anyway...

Yargh! I edited and corrected this post and it didn't post correctly! My HUGE mistake! I called HMS and they were so super nice and helpful- they sent a low G amm3 which is most often how they leave the factory. For some reason I thought they were sending me a standard G.

My fault *completely*.

I just finished correctly tuning her and she sounds wonderful!

That makes sense. HMS does send these ukes out with low g. Which would be 196hz.

Yeppers you are correct! My fault completely. I'm so glad I called them and got it sorted out. Thank goodness for this forum and nice people at HMS!

So you got a high G on there? This uke sounds superb in low g, very rich and resonant. I have no issues with overly tight tensioned strings on mine.

I thought I was getting a high G but received a stock low G, something I've wanted to try since I picked up my first Aklot ukulele (you can order them with low G)...I'm just a duh head and thanks to my slight ocdness got the answer I needed before something catastrophic occurred.

Like a lot of people, I find that tenor ukuleles are tuned too high at gCEA and have way too much string tension at that tuning.
I play Tenor ukuleles at either EAC#F# or FA#DG.

I'm a new ukulele player of a few months and once I get proficient in gcea I'd like to try alternate tunings. Thanks!

Yargh! I edited and corrected this post and it didn't post correctly! My HUGE mistake! I called HMS and they were so super nice and helpful- they sent a low G amm3 which is most often how they leave the factory. For some reason I thought they were sending me a standard G.

My fault *completely*.

I just finished correctly tuning her and she sounds wonderful!

That's more like it! :shaka:

Top Bottom