SOTU 487 - In the Arms of Morpheus

Good morning from Maryland, USA, Sabine! Here is one I learned from the fabulous Ginger Johnson of the Hula Honeys. She is an amazing player and singer. It's called Sleep Warm, music by Lew Spence and lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Keith Bergman and it first made an appearance on a Dean Martin album as the title track. I want to draw your attention to the impeccable flute work of Martin Hoffman on this. He also added UBass. It's amazing what a bass line can do for a song. I have his YouTube channel listed in the description of my YouTube post. Thanks again for hosting! I am loving this theme. Now, a coffee...

Sleep Warm
Lew Spence-Music
Alan Bergman and Marilyn Keith Bergman-lyrics

Here's another song about the scary side of dreaming--by Alice Cooper this time.

Sometimes NIGHTMARES not only come when we are sleeping. The year 2020 will surely be remembered as a long nightmare from which we are slowly waking up. This original song deals with the "Year of the Plague" as Defoe might have called it.

It is also the first video I have recorded on my brand new travel uke. It's an Ovation style Long Neck Soprano (I have never had one of them before) by a new Slovenian Uke making company called Flight. Check out their beautiful Stratocaster style electric uke!

I also asked the dealer if he could replace the standard strings with a Low G set. He happily agreed.

I have been meaning to try Low G on a soprano for years. I am very happy with the uke and the result of the experiment. I hope this summer it can live up to its name as a "travel" instrument and that restrictions are eased even further to allow us to easily leave Catalonia.

Hope you enjoy:

Sleep is in the title...

Ryan RAB11 already shared a sweet, echoey version of this one. Though during pride month, we can't really have too many versions of this gay anthem, now can we?

Wow, 13 new songs were added today. We had an original from Berni, who took us back to dreams that are not so sweet. Luis and Loftur also brought us bad dreams and nightmares. Lynda brought a cover (!); Ryan and Joko picked songs about sleeping; Jim's song was about keeping it real; Ralf brought us back to the Fleetwood Mack hit Dreams, Stanley crooned one of my favourites, Rob had us daydreaming, Janet strummed and fingerpicked us to sleep a la Brahms, and Liz presented an absolutely wonderful collaboration with her friend Martin.
I'm in a very dreamy mood, and I must be off to bed now!

It's late here. PJs are on. I have a tendency to be the last one to go to bed at my house, so I can have a moment to myself. Here is one I wrote in February during FAWM (February Album Writing Month) I recorded it fresh tonight just for you, Sabine. xo

The Lone Night Owl
Liz Brinker

The Lone Night Owl
Liz Brinker, 2021

The house has gone quiet, I’m finally alone
Thinking my own thoughts, reading my phone
I know I should sleep now, but I’m not that gal
I am the lone night owl

The noise of the day is over and done
It’s been many hours since I saw the sun
I have the whole night, I’m starting to prowl
I am the lone night owl

(Bridge) As all of my people come say goodnight
I’m quietly filled with joy and delight
Although I love them with all of my might
My mood will soon start to turn foul

So, go on to bed now, I’ll turn off the light
I’ll finish the kitchen, good night, love, good night
You’ve had a long day, you should throw in the towel
I am the lone night owl

Yodel over bridge

The house has gone quiet, I’m finally alone
Thinking my own thoughts, reading my phone
I know I should sleep now, but I’m not that gal
I am the lone night owl
Yes, I am the lone night owl

Last edited:
A lullaby (from 1964?) by Heino Jurisalu and Juhan Saar that was played for decades in Estonian Radio - before and after bedtime stories for kids. Here with baritone ukulele, a bit of kalimba and occasional backing vocals by a pigeon:

I guess it’s still truncating posts
I think you were channeling me because that sounds like my house and you posted my video

Probably one of the most sinister lullabies ever .

From the 1967 version of The Jungle Book. Kaa The Python.

"Trust In Me"

This is "Dreaming Of You", a 2002 hit for UK indie rock band The Coral, done with a pair of ukes, a glockenspiel, and The Dreaded Harmonica.

My backing singers had some fun with this one. Plenty of waaa-ooohs for you to join in with!

I thought I was done for this week. Then I remembered a song that is perfect for this theme that I wrote at FAWM 2019 and had not made into a video. So, here, in a new recording, is:

What a treat we got today: four originals were submitted, one each from Lynda, Liz, Brian, and Berni. There were also three covers added to the thread, by Ylle, CeeJay, and Edwin.
AlanDP (Uke in the Heart of Texas) posted 'Ukulele Dream Girl on YouTube, but UU said 'No!' Alan has not been able to post videos on UU for three weeks. If he allows me to post it here on his behalf, I'll do it. Check out Alan's cover, if you've got the time. It is an example of 'one from the vault', an older song from one of the repositories that have all these old piano scores.
Thanks for all your entries, and for your comments on each others' videos! I'll be back tomorrow!

Here’s one from the 80s. :p
I resisted the very strong temptation to throw everything at it - so just some added keyboard bass and vocal harmonies for the chorus. Thanks for hosting, Sabine! :)

A short early morning noodle on this Abba choon for ya Sabine...........

Oh to be in the arms of Morpheus. But sometimes sleep won't come and you have to drive all night long.

Top Bottom