SOTU 487 - In the Arms of Morpheus

About 30 years ago when my niece, Steph, was a pre-schooler and her family was camping on Manitoulin Island - campfire, tent, loon on the lake, moon in the sky, etc. my brother Bob made up the essence of this song when tucking her in for the night. I have never sung it before, but while looking for some lullabies for this season, I came across it and I love it.
Bob and Steph
bob & Steph.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another metaphor for sleep that I often end up singing to myself when I take the sleeper train from Scotland to London.

Written by Malvina Reynolds, and most famously (at least, to me) performed by The Seekers. I also remember it from a recorder songbook I had at school...

This involves an 8 string baritone, a tenor, and I'm experimenting with octave down GCEA tuning again. It's very muddy when strummed, but single notes seem to sound pretty decent when I can get it to stay in tune for long enough...

Here's some low-hanging fruit from Stevie Nicks but I'm hoping to have put enough of my own stamp on it to make it worthwhile.

I'm nearly off to bed, and I am pleased with all new sleep-inducing songs that were submitted today. Most of the dreams were happy, pleasant. Give them a listen, if you've got time. There are many fabulous entries to help you nod off, or to inspire you to submit your own tune.

We had a dreamy collab from Del and Liz (Dellizious?). Brian's second original holds up a mirror and shows us a blunter side of reality. Steve, John, Wim, and Ryan all went for the dreams that visit us when we sleep, and even what goes on in our minds when we talk in our sleep. Jim (re)discovered and performed a brilliant lullaby. The song was written by his brother, Bob, who composed it for his young daughter, Steph. Edwin brought us his version of Morningtown Ride, taking us all through Dreamland. I'll see you all in my dreams, on the train. Night night!

Hello again, Sabine! This is another song from 1944 - total coincidence - and I apologise, because I think I must have made it with my seven-year-old granddaughter in mind! There is, however, a lot of noisy "morphing."

A bit of 50's flash back and a number by Bobby Darin ..........

Dreaming?? In the daytime?? What fresh …

Another day over on this coast, and I'm pleased to tell you that the playlist grew by another five additions. Brian wrote on behalf of the silenced children, sleeping in their graves at a residential school in Canada, their dreams morphing into a deadly nightmare. Rob brought Mr Sandman into play, and hopefully the dreams that he carries around are of the happy kind. Val tried to persuade us that we can swing on a star if we do our best at school. Mark brought us some 50s R&R, as he sang out to his dream lover, for whom he's waiting. Rick carried the dream theme over to the daytime, and brought us a happy Daydream Believer cover.
There are still quite a few very famous songs about sleep, dreams, daydreams that have not been submitted yet. Maybe you can all think of one or two?
See you all tomorrow. Sleep tight!

:bowdown: "is it a dream" by :bowdown: classix nouveaux

featuring some traffic noise, a fox cub doing a marc bolan-esque "ow!" sort of cry towards the end (don't you just love opening the windows to a warm city night?) and some garish cut down PJ bottoms (i got a gazillion of those!)

Thanks for hosting Sabine.Did'nt realise how many dreamy songs there were anyway this is one of my favorites.

I haven't been around here for a while, partly for very unpleasant reasons--last month my appendix burst and I spent 5 days in the hospital and then several weeks recovering at home. I'm fine(ish) now, and happy to be alive, but it's definitely affecting my current musical tastes. Many of the songs so far have been about pleasant dreams--I'm here to bring the metal, with a song about the dark side of sleep. Maybe I'm crazy to play Avenged Sevenfold on the ukulele--that's for you to decide. Sensitive ears warning: F-bombs abound in this one.

Top Bottom