New to the Forum; Hi!

DaniT

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Dani, and I live in Oregon, USA.

I joined a couple of weeks ago on the advice of another member who suggested that posting videos to the "Season" threads might help me get over my extreme (and I mean EXTREME) anxiety about performing. So far, none of the themes have seemed right for what I play, but I'll keep considering!

I've been playing ukulele for about 18 months, starting with a lot of Jazz standards (I also play many other instruments- guitar, bass, cello, drums, saxophone, and tuba- so I had a head start). Now, though, I am focusing on classical and working my way through the Graded Repertoire for Ukulele, Classical, by Jeff Peterson (ukulelecorner.com). Playing classical doesn't make me much fun at parties (what parties? Thanks, COVID!), but I adore it, and I play for at least an hour a day.

I'd love to connect with other classical players. I feel so alone! :D

Cheers, and see y'all around.

Welcome to the Forum, Dani. I’m just down the road from you, in Corvallis. Like you, I have a background in multiple instruments as well ... all of which collectively inform my ukulele journey. Classical music is one of the many genres I enjoy playing, and I’m quite sure there are a number of other Forum members who lean in the same direction, so you are not alone. :) The important thing is to follow your bliss.

Welcome to UU, DaniT!

It's overlapping Sunday, so theoretically there are two Seasons to submit songs to. SOTU 485 is active for another 11 hours as I'm writing this up, and the theme is 'Confidence'. I'm hosting SOTU 486, which has just kicked off hours ago. I would love it if you'd do a jazzy version of a lullaby, or any other song about sleep or insomnia.
You can select YouTube's visibility settings so that only people with the link can view your video. After the week, you can change the visibility to 'private', and it won't appear on the playlist anymore. You can also show a photo over the audio, or leave your face out of the frame (or use a filter over it).

I know that performing is scary. We all run into issues such as: forgotten or mixed up lyrics; chord shape on the wrong fret; we forget the chord progression; we take a wrong turn; we blow it on that instrumental break; we forget we've tuned to an alternative tuning; we start on the wrong pitch; we forget to take a repeat; we need to interrupt to scroll up or down on your tablet; we get the timing wrong; we suddenly can't do a picking pattern anymore etc.
There is always going to be something that goes wrong. Often though, the listener doesn't realises it until they know about it.

Keep an eye on what is happening in the Seasons, and join us if you're up for it. We're always excited when there is a new Seasonista. We'll all welcome you 'whenever'!

Welcome DaniT. I'm staggered by the variety of instruments you play. I hope you find the ukulele to be interesting and fun for you. Enjoy.

Welcome to UU. I used to play an hour a day. Maybe i should try and get back to it!

Welcome Dani T! from a fellow Portland member. I hope you find the forum as indispensable as I have, going on 5 years I think!!

Top Bottom