My first "real" Ukulele

Yes, many of the mass produced ukes are made in the same factories and they just change label and a few decorations. There is surprisingly little difference between ukes of different brands. .

Changing subject, but maintaining the thought line…..
Many, many years ago I worked in R&D for Del Monte and I can tell you that DM copacks for other brands. Take PEACHES ��
Same product, same syrup same process just a different label.
Only difference is that at break time, half the quality control group takes a break and blemishes, bruised peaches ‘slip’ through the line.
Once break time is over and 100% QC is back, they change back the labels. The line runs non stop
Only difference between the off brand and Del Monte is minor.
And the Label

He's a member here, but I'm not sure if he's still around. His other videos are worth watching if you haven't seen any. Looks like he hasn't posted anything new in a while. Great player.

What’s not particularly obvious is that the Mahalo (U30) appears to have its original nylon strings on it. A change to Aquila Super Nylgut gives a good improvement further closing the gap between the Kiwaya and Mahalo. Of course the Kiwaya is in another league but ...

On the topic of manufacture I don’t believe that Mahalo made their own instruments at that time (they do now) and that if you wished to then you might well still be able to buy a new U30 but it would have a different name on the headstock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom