WTB: Koa Tenor w/cutaway & slothead

benjoeuke

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’ve been playing my Mainland ukes mahogany tenor cutaway w/slot head for a few years now and I really like it but it lacks something in the tone and volume. Hard to explain but I want a really special sounding Koa tenor and I’ve already decided it must have these particular features. It’s been hard to find anything that fits the bill. So far the only ukes ive played that really have the sound have been KoAloha and Ko’olau but the cutaway and slot head are the key features I’m looking for.

I’d love to hear about any that you members might have for sale or even just your thoughts on what you own or if you can point me in the right direction. Mahalo,Ben

Last edited:
I just put my Lanikai Curly Koa tenor 6 string up for sale in the Marketplace. Check it out.

I am sure that any of the Hawaiian K brands will be able to build you a custom tenor with your desired specs. Of those, Kanile'a has the most spectacular slot head, and they stand out far beyond the rest.

The Ukulele Site just got in a big order of Kamaka and should be listing a HF-3 D2I at some point (they posted some photos of it on social media). That will be koa with a slot head, but fairly pricey.

Aloha Ben. With your specs I think you have a few options but know that it will probably be pricey. I think the most inexpensive slot head koa ukulele would be the Anuenue AKK3 ($899).

I think the Kanile'a KSR-T would be another option at $1895.

The Kamaka HF-3 D2I would be another option @$3,195.

The Kanile'a has the widest nut at 1.5 inches.

Just my 2 cents. Getting a slot head koa ukulele is pretty pricey.

The aNueNue AKK3 looks to be a treat! But does not have a cutaway.

@benjoeuke, perhaps take a look at the aNueNue UT1K?

~ S.

You are right. I totally missed that cutaway requirement. Have all three (Koa, slothead, cutaway) would most likely be a $3k+ ukulele, besides that UT1k that you recommended. Most likely a custom.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I’m really learning a lot. I don’t know anything about Anuenue but it looks pretty nice. I don’t usually spend more than $500 on something I can’t try out in person but KoAloha is the exception to that rule. If I could have anyone make a custom, it probably has to be KoAloha. I played around with the Kanilea custom online builder but I just don’t know if they have the tone and volume that I want. Also, I noticed their cutaway is not really what I like. I love my KoAlohas and I will probably just have to keep bugging them for a custom

Sorry I guess I wasn’t clear. I definitely plan on spending more than $500. I want something as good as my KoAloha but with those special features it’s hard to find. I guess it would be very hard to convince me that another brand will sound as good as a KoAloha. I really wish there were more options available here in California for me to test drive

Top Bottom