Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feels Like I Should Be Better at Soprano

"I think its a good challenge to train yourself to play without a strap, if that is what you choose to do. But it is not something that you really need to worry about unless you are performing to please an audience. "

Hmm, Jake uses a strap, and I think that he pleases audiences.

IIRC, he started using a strap due to pain that was alleviated by using the strap. That's a good reason to use a strap, IMO.

We've got people here of various ages, and various physical limitations, (past injuries, arthritis, and so on), so for some, a strap might be a good idea or even necessary, while it might not matter to others. IMO, the right answer to the strap question is: Do whatever works best for you.

I'm thinking a lot of the mechanics that might cause the OP to be less confident at soprano relates to the neck angle. When I hold a soprano I keep the neck somewhat parallel to the ground. When I play the tenor I tend to play with the neck at about a 45 degree angle. I tend to move the tenor around in my clutches depending if I am barring or playing open chords, and where I am on the neck. I feel like a beginner with the soprano and happen to keep the instrument more static. If I had the soprano in a foam cut-out the size of a baritone, I bet I would like that. Hmmm, do I have any foam?
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

Quote Originally Posted by chris667 View Post

People say things like "Jimi Hendrix always played with a strap!" but the thing is he could also play without a strap.
    That's interesting, I have never seen any guitarist playing a concert without a strap while standing.
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_O View Post
    That's interesting, I have never seen any guitarist playing a concert without a strap while standing.
    Lots classical guitarist play concerts without a strap

For the first five or so decades of ukulele there were only soprano and they were played without strap. There is some video evidence that top players of these times were able to accomplish great artistry with these tiny instruments and it is laudable to aspire to the goal of doing that. However I am playing for fun and not ambitious at all, so I find concert and tenor scale quite sufficient for my level.

Real ukulele players only play strapless sopranos.

Quote Originally Posted by mingus View Post
    Real ukulele players only play strapless sopranos.
    I wondered about that statement and can only think that it was intended to prompt responses to the contrary.

Playing Uke gives me pleasure and that’s why I do it, but playing without a strap has always been difficult for me to do and taken away the pleasure of playing. As far as I’m concerned real players might not use a strap and might only play Soprano but that’s totally irrelevant to me and they’re welcome to play as they choose ... well so long as I can have my choices too. Real players also sound a darn sight better than I do and I’m not bothered about that either, what they do has limited relevance to me.

Soprano is the true size of Uke (IMHO original, definitive and best) and as far as I know the originals weren’t fitted with straps. Soprano is the size that suits me best, however I play Concert sized instruments too and, like Soprano, they also give me pleasure. Some folk (including the guy who taught me) play the larger sizes really well and I struggle to justify not accepting that they are real Ukulele players.

For the OP I suggest that you play the sizes that give you pleasure and decline requests that don’t, or at least say I don’t normally play that size but let’s have a go and see what I can manage. No one expects a Violinist to play a Double Bass so simply don’t accept the expectation that any size Uke will do and that straps aren’t necessary for some players. No one has the right to make such expectations of you.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-15-2021 at 09:16 PM.

I have posted before, that although I have played all of the available scale sizes, and have owned most of them at one time or another, I have ultimately decided that soprano is the one for me. As has been said earlier in this thread, you need to put in the hours to get the feel of your soprano,and find its nuances and quirks. Any size is rewarding, if you get the results you wish for, but for me, soprano it is!
    Soprano is what does it for me every time!*

*Other Scale sizes are available and very popular with many players.

What happens to the strap when you play behind your head? Doesn't it fall off?

I can see the need for strap if you have to look like an 80s rock star with uke dangling in front of your crotch area.

Thread Information