Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor Advice Requested!

Default Tenor Advice Requested!

Oh boy... I feel very overwhelmed. I am a (mostly) classical player and, closing in on 2 years of playing, feel like I'm ready for an upgrade in my instrument. I have a Kala mahogany top, currently, which was a massive upgrade from my very first, junky little thing (that I bought purely to gauge my interest in playing and quickly outgrew). I am willing to save for the right instrument, but it seems like there are SO MANY brands to know and choose from, and then material types and other features on top of that... my head is swimming. I'd be looking for clear tones up the neck with minimal buzzing (yes, some of that is just me needing to keep improving), and as much sustain as a low-g uke can manage. Are there any brands or models in particular that I should check out or avoid? I'm sure there are nearly as many opinions as there are players, but I'd appreciate any advice. I can probably manage the $800-1500 range more than above that, at this point.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your time and knowledge-sharing!

I would check out the Koaloha KTM-00 and I would also look at the Kanile’a K-1 T. Both are great ukes and in that price range.
    Quiet Daddy
    Hickory, NC

Koaloha KTM-S00
    MP Tenor Cali
    Martin T1K

Ohana BKT-250G
    Outdoor Tenor
    Tangi Mahogany Tenor
    Islander AT4-GPU
    Enya Nova U Pro Tenor (coming)

The aNueNue Moonbird or it's brothers and sisters would be worth looking into!

Also, Flight's higher end models (Mustang, Fireball etc).

If you search YouTube, the videos done by World of Ukes and Southern Ukulele Store comparing different models / brands in a certain price range are very helpful (both those stores are very good about answering questions as well, especially World of Ukes).

Quote Originally Posted by DaniT View Post
    Oh boy... I feel very overwhelmed. I am a (mostly) classical player and, closing in on 2 years of playing, feel like I'm ready for an upgrade in my instrument. I have a Kala mahogany top, currently, which was a massive upgrade from my very first, junky little thing (that I bought purely to gauge my interest in playing and quickly outgrew). I am willing to save for the right instrument, but it seems like there are SO MANY brands to know and choose from, and then material types and other features on top of that... my head is swimming. I'd be looking for clear tones up the neck with minimal buzzing (yes, some of that is just me needing to keep improving), and as much sustain as a low-g uke can manage. Are there any brands or models in particular that I should check out or avoid? I'm sure there are nearly as many opinions as there are players, but I'd appreciate any advice. I can probably manage the $800-1500 range more than above that, at this point.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your time and knowledge-sharing!
    Look into Pepe Romero line, his ukes tend to do well for classical music IMHO. You can get a Pepe Romero Creation tenor in your budget. The quality is top notch.

I would go a different route than identifying brands in this post. I would recommend identifying sellers that will guide you to what you seek, including the strings and setup parameters.

The two I have used and highly recommend are "The Ukulele Site and Mim's Ukes. Both include setup and both have a return policy (you pay shipping).

[QUOTE=Booksniffer;2281967]The aNueNue Moonbird or it's brothers and sisters would be worth looking into!

Also, Flight's higher end models (Mustang, Fireball etc).

If you search YouTube, the videos done by World of Ukes and Southern Ukulele Store comparing different models / brands in a certain price range are very helpful (both those stores are very good about answering questions as well, especially World of Ukes).[/QUOTE

Yeppers, I'd look at Anuenue bird series in koa woods or even contact a few luthiers and see about a custom build.

There are many fine tenor ukes in that price range - KoAloha, Kanile'a, Romero Creations, aNueNue, and Rebel are some of the tenors I have in this range that I love. The Ukulele Site is a great resource for looking at and listening to some really good ukes and uke demos. I do like the Southern Ukulele Store and World of Ukes for demos too.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor
    Romero Creations Tiny Tenor spalted mango
    Romero Creations SK koa soprano
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo 5 string tenor #28
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano
    Brad Donaldson cedar/rosewood custom tenor

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I have purchased tenors from Mim's and The Ukulele Site. Both very good transactions. I have a KoAloha tenor and a Godin tenor. Both ever so different. Both great instruments. You'll have to research the above listed brands. Oh, I also have a Pohaku tenor resonator. It's a whole other creature unto it's own. So many options.

I got into tenors in an off hand way. A local store was selling out it's Kala Elites. I had one uke at the time and was thinking about getting a better uke, maybe a different size. When I got to the store they had already sold the size I was looking for. They has some soprano's left but I think I was looking for a concert at the time. There was a Martin Tenor on the wall, I took that down and played a little and though Ohhh??!! I like that sound. Spend the next year saving money and watching a lot of youtube and other videos, saw a few performers live with tenors. Bought the KoAloha from Mim's, couldn't be happier.

Good luck on your search!

If you say classical, I think finger-picking. Research how tone woods affect sound. Talk to the folks at The Ukulele Site, Mim's, etc. about how/what you play. Look at classical players on Youtube, what instruments they play.

not sure if Ashland is close to you but Ono Ukulele is a great custom shop for ukes...David has been building for awhile now and his work is as good as anyone..saving up for one of his ukes is a smart thing to do and i am sure he can answer all your questions...

http://onoukes.com/
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 06-21-2021 at 06:22 AM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor,Kimo Super Tenor all Koa,Beau Hannam Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor

Thread Information