Tenor Advice Requested!

DaniT

Reaction score
Oh boy... I feel very overwhelmed. I am a (mostly) classical player and, closing in on 2 years of playing, feel like I'm ready for an upgrade in my instrument. I have a Kala mahogany top, currently, which was a massive upgrade from my very first, junky little thing (that I bought purely to gauge my interest in playing and quickly outgrew). I am willing to save for the right instrument, but it seems like there are SO MANY brands to know and choose from, and then material types and other features on top of that... my head is swimming. I'd be looking for clear tones up the neck with minimal buzzing (yes, some of that is just me needing to keep improving), and as much sustain as a low-g uke can manage. Are there any brands or models in particular that I should check out or avoid? I'm sure there are nearly as many opinions as there are players, but I'd appreciate any advice. I can probably manage the $800-1500 range more than above that, at this point.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your time and knowledge-sharing!

I would check out the Koaloha KTM-00 and I would also look at the Kanile’a K-1 T. Both are great ukes and in that price range.

The aNueNue Moonbird or it's brothers and sisters would be worth looking into!

Also, Flight's higher end models (Mustang, Fireball etc).

If you search YouTube, the videos done by World of Ukes and Southern Ukulele Store comparing different models / brands in a certain price range are very helpful (both those stores are very good about answering questions as well, especially World of Ukes).

Oh boy... I feel very overwhelmed. I am a (mostly) classical player and, closing in on 2 years of playing, feel like I'm ready for an upgrade in my instrument. I have a Kala mahogany top, currently, which was a massive upgrade from my very first, junky little thing (that I bought purely to gauge my interest in playing and quickly outgrew). I am willing to save for the right instrument, but it seems like there are SO MANY brands to know and choose from, and then material types and other features on top of that... my head is swimming. I'd be looking for clear tones up the neck with minimal buzzing (yes, some of that is just me needing to keep improving), and as much sustain as a low-g uke can manage. Are there any brands or models in particular that I should check out or avoid? I'm sure there are nearly as many opinions as there are players, but I'd appreciate any advice. I can probably manage the $800-1500 range more than above that, at this point.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your time and knowledge-sharing!
Look into Pepe Romero line, his ukes tend to do well for classical music IMHO. You can get a Pepe Romero Creation tenor in your budget. The quality is top notch.

I would go a different route than identifying brands in this post. I would recommend identifying sellers that will guide you to what you seek, including the strings and setup parameters.

The two I have used and highly recommend are "The Ukulele Site and Mim's Ukes. Both include setup and both have a return policy (you pay shipping).

The aNueNue Moonbird or it's brothers and sisters would be worth looking into!

Also, Flight's higher end models (Mustang, Fireball etc).

If you search YouTube, the videos done by World of Ukes and Southern Ukulele Store comparing different models / brands in a certain price range are very helpful (both those stores are very good about answering questions as well, especially World of Ukes).[/QUOTE

Yeppers, I'd look at Anuenue bird series in koa woods or even contact a few luthiers and see about a custom build.

There are many fine tenor ukes in that price range - KoAloha, Kanile'a, Romero Creations, aNueNue, and Rebel are some of the tenors I have in this range that I love. The Ukulele Site is a great resource for looking at and listening to some really good ukes and uke demos. I do like the Southern Ukulele Store and World of Ukes for demos too.

I have purchased tenors from Mim's and The Ukulele Site. Both very good transactions. I have a KoAloha tenor and a Godin tenor. Both ever so different. Both great instruments. You'll have to research the above listed brands. Oh, I also have a Pohaku tenor resonator. It's a whole other creature unto it's own. So many options.

I got into tenors in an off hand way. A local store was selling out it's Kala Elites. I had one uke at the time and was thinking about getting a better uke, maybe a different size. When I got to the store they had already sold the size I was looking for. They has some soprano's left but I think I was looking for a concert at the time. There was a Martin Tenor on the wall, I took that down and played a little and though Ohhh??!! I like that sound. Spend the next year saving money and watching a lot of youtube and other videos, saw a few performers live with tenors. Bought the KoAloha from Mim's, couldn't be happier.

Good luck on your search!

If you say classical, I think finger-picking. Research how tone woods affect sound. Talk to the folks at The Ukulele Site, Mim's, etc. about how/what you play. Look at classical players on Youtube, what instruments they play.

not sure if Ashland is close to you but Ono Ukulele is a great custom shop for ukes...David has been building for awhile now and his work is as good as anyone..saving up for one of his ukes is a smart thing to do and i am sure he can answer all your questions...

http://onoukes.com/

Last edited:
I too recommend Mim's Ukes, she gave me great advice about 7 years ago and I trust her expertise. https://mimsukes.com

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Did you buy a tenor uke, and what's the update?
I'm a tenor freak and realized the classical uke playing relies on the values that many pro players need unless they are just strumming chords. You described your needs pretty well and I'm curious what you came across in your search.

In your price range a Hawaiian built Kamaka or Kanile'a might be possible. The key to good low G sustain is mainly the size of body and scale. Specifically the depth of the body is a main contributor as it has most effect on its volume, whereas the area of the top also affects resonance. For a more guitar like tone you might like a soft top like spruce or cedar. Buzzing and clarity of playing up the neck are matters of playing technique or set up.

Although I don't recall buying a Ukulele from her myself, I've been a member of this forum long enough to know that Mim is a great resource and honest seller. She has a great following and super good reputation. I think contacting her and discussing your situation is a great idea.

I don’t know if the OP is still here, but I would try to find a shop that has a variety and try them out in person. assuming that is not feasible, I would see if someone locally has the instruments you are looking for that would let you try them out. We are all in this hobby together and I know I would love to share my passion with you.

they all feel a little different. Kanile’a’s for example feel a little beefy on the neck and the fretboard spacing is a little bigger. In contrast KoAlohas are skinny on the neck, but have great bass response. Kamakas are a little between the two, etc.

good luck!

Top Bottom