Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge Issue with Custom Bonanzalele

I actually did talk with the builder today. I sent them an email, and got a phone call just a few minutes later. They think the slot for the strings are too narrow, and even dropped shipped me tool to file it.

I probably should have contacted them right off, but..... my mom died unexpectedly right when I got it...... I think I subconciously associated my saddness over that with this instrument, and that combined with the bridge problem cause me to avoid it for a few months. I'm glad it looks like there is an easy fix. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by boisedave View Post
    This is a custom instrument. Some luthier or shop built it for you. Have you run this by the builder?
    I second this. Send an email to Pete/Shelley and they should get you sorted pretty quickly.

Another suggestion would be to try some thinner strings. You didn't mention the scale. If it's concert, I have the Aquila Red strings on mine. Martin M600s would be another cheap alternative

ETA: I see you took my advice. Hopefully you can get it fixed up and enjoy this quirky little uke.
    Last edited by Jim Hanks; 06-17-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, LW dGBEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, E cuatro TI/Oasis

!Flukutronic!

Contact Bonanza for a good answer.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

It's pretty much resolved. It was a bit nerve wracking for me but I gently filed the slots a bit deeper, and the A string is now well behaved. Might need to file the C one a bit more. It's funny... I have no problem changing oil or spark plugs on my little plane, but balked at filing a tiny piece of wood. It just seemed so little and such delicate work! After I got the string behaving, I kept the uke out for about an hour a played a few of my mom's favorite songs as a tribute to her. It felt good.

Thread Information