Resawing

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
On the bandsw, resawing off the outside edge rather than between the fence and the blade, is far more accurate and easier on the blade. The issue is finding a way to move the fence in exact amounts. Even though I have a very good fence that moves on a screw mechanism, it is difficult to move it an exact amount.I have tried lots of techniques for accurate resawing. Here is the latest one. Probably won't be of any use unless you have a good size saw. These dial indicators and locking magnetic bases are cheap in the catalogs.

Attachments

• DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 97
I've had a lot of resaws, and good dust collection has always been an issue. Dust collection on bigger saws saw is not easy to do efficiently.I have central dust collection and my collector is good size, outside the shop, and does actually collect at least 75% of the dust. When I do a lot of sawing on wide boards, the dust always builds up. The collector has no trouble keeping up with a jointer, planer, or table saw, but the bandsaw has issues. The power tool room of the shop has a couple of 12' sliding doors and I end the day by blowing off everything in the shop off with a leaf blower, leave the shop, let the dust settle, and sweep and vacuum it up in the morning. The dust goes in the compost for my garden and orchard, so I have a good relationship with dust. Most people ask me how I keep my shop so clean, except if they visit when I'm resawing.

I use the sawdust as compost as well..the garden and veg patch are doing well this year and I’ve used so much mahogany lately that the soil colour in the garden looks more like Australia than UK.

I take a leaf blower to my garage in the fall before the winter season sets in. Just a quick question on the size of pictures. Is it a function of the forum software or intentionally small?

Ken- My dust collector actually works pretty good. Notice the curly dust. Some of the most expensive sawdust on the planet!

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 46
Ken- My dust collector actually works pretty good. Notice the curly dust. Some of the most expensive sawdust on the planet!

I recon , that only 15 percent of the timber we use actually ends up as a playing instrument, and all the rest is wasted :(:eek:ld: Someone should be complaining about us destroying the planet and all that stuff.

On the bandsw, resawing off the outside edge rather than between the fence and the blade, is far more accurate and easier on the blade. The issue is finding a way to move the fence in exact amounts. Even though I have a very good fence that moves on a screw mechanism, it is difficult to move it an exact amount.I have tried lots of techniques for accurate resawing. Here is the latest one. Probably won't be of any use unless you have a good size saw. These dial indicators and locking magnetic bases are cheap in the catalogs.

Perhaps try using strips of wood the thickness of the desired cut plus the thickness of the cut between the fence and the wood to move the board over that amount.

Shims do work. That was one of my previous systems. I used a strong magnet on the table that I slid against the fence after every cut and then moved the fence over by the thickness of a shim. I had a set of shims in 1/2mm increments from 2mm to 13mm. It was a workable system, but the dial indicator is a step up.

Shims do work. That was one of my previous systems. I used a strong magnet on the table that I slid against the fence after every cut and then moved the fence over by the thickness of a shim. I had a set of shims in 1/2mm increments from 2mm to 13mm. It was a workable system, but the dial indicator is a step up.
How thick are your slices Bob ?…I find 4mm is just about right for me before the thickness sander gets them.

Ken- I wrote you a nice long answer to your question this morning. It did not post to the thread. If this one does I'll send you an answer again tomorrow.-Bob

Ken- I wrote you a nice long answer to your question this morning. It did not post to the thread. If this one does I'll send you an answer again tomorrow.-Bob
It is annoying when that happens, may be one day they will fix this bug ..it happens mostly when you insert a symbol (comma) to shorten two words .... that is why i started off this message with It is

Last edited:
As Bob said that cutting slices on the outside instead of between the fence and blade is better , I thought that I should give it a try and for the first time since I bought this Bandsaw I used the magnifying lens and rule fitted on the fence. I just advanced the fence 3/16 inch after each cut ..and it worked fine and that is how I will do it in the future.
8B70E8AE-8756-450E-B277-29327E17EFC5 by Ken Timms,

Thanks for the tip on the forum posting glitch. I've had it happen many times. I'll stop using hyphens. I have also notice that it happens when I use a dash between words sometimes.
That is a nice gauge on your fence Ken. All saws should have something like that. To answer your question, because I sell some sets I feel I have to saw my sets slightly thicker than necessary. Many of the builders I sell to are not that experienced. To give them a chance of successfully joining their wood and installing rosettes, I send them wood that is sanded to 4mm or just slightly over. That is my standard. So, I cut the top and back wood at 5m off the saw and sand it to 4mm. Sides I might cut a little thinner, depending on the size of the piece of wood I'm resawing. Guitar wood I cut about a half mm thicker. For my personal use on ukes, 4mm off the saw is fine. Reading the fence position off a tape has not worked for me. My eyesight and the small divisions on the tape don't get along well. Your fence magnifying lens might solve that. The dial indicator is very easy for me to read, so I like it for now. Tomorrow is another day. I constantly change my work techniques which infuriates people that ask me how I do things. If I get what I think is a better idea, it instantly becomes the new standard. Take care.Bob

As Bob said that cutting slices on the outside instead of between the fence and blade is better , I thought that I should give it a try and for the first time since I bought this Bandsaw I used the magnifying lens and rule fitted on the fence. I just advanced the fence 3/16 inch after each cut ..and it worked fine and that is how I will do it in the future.

That is a nice setup, Ken. I may need to upgrade my fence!

Top Bottom